Notices

Marijuana maintenance

Old 02-25-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Marijuana maintenance

Curious what people think about marijuana maintenance.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

We're a recovery board, and we have lots of people here who are dealing with their own pot addiction or someone else's, so you're unlikely to get a green flag here, if that's what you're looking for?

I destroyed my life as much on pot as I did on alcohol later.

I had the same obsessions, I used it in the same way...I ended up totally dependent on it.

I was the problem - not the drugs I was using.

To anyone who's gotten sober and who's thinking pot might not be that bad, I say press on...don't settle for 'half free' - go the whole distance

D
Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, pot is a path for darkness, disguised as something funny and harmless.

It's a more dangerous drug that most people think. It's a path for depression, social phobia, isolation, panic attacks, and other problems... lack of disposition for exercises and healthy habits, lack of motivation to be a better person (study, work, discipline in general). It can become a prison, like any other drug.

And it's the opposite of being sober and clean headed.
Clearly not the way to go (in my opinion).
Old 02-25-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had the same obsessions, I used it in the same way...I ended up totally dependent on it.
I agree with Dee here. I started using marijuana after quitting booze to "soften the blow". But I don't know how to use drugs properly, either, and soon it became a bigger problem than I needed.

I remember I was about 3 months clean from alcohol, sitting in a crappy drug dealer's apartment. I was still unemployed. The dealer was a bartender, she had a mattress on the floor, she was drunk and stoned, crying about something (her life was complete chaos) and she had 2 pitbulls running around this little apartment tearing everything apart....I thought what the HELL am I doing here? Was THIS what I got sober for? Was this even sobriety?

I recommend against it. It really slowed down my recovery in my experience.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is no sense in Marijuana maintenance. Its all or nothing for an addict. Smoking weed only leads you back to the same old helpless position
Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm no psychologist, but if you have to use a substance for "maintenance," there is probably an underlying issue with which you are struggling.

Drug and alcohol addiction is all about one's personal relationship with the substance in question. If pot doesn't cause issues in your life and you want to smoke it, then do so. But I am curious why you would be here if that is the case...

I'm an alcoholic. I never liked pot. I now like alcohol even less. As Dee said though, it's not the alcohol that's the problem, it's me that's the problem.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dealing with life on life's term is the problem. If we want another substance to deal with life then that substance will cause us problems
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

marijuana maintenance is not recovery
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Switching one drug for another will not solve addiction problems...
Old 02-25-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ifyoumustknow View Post
Curious what people think about marijuana maintenance.
I smoked pot on and off for 33 years before I finally gave it up for good. One of most eye opening revelations to me was how much my productivity went up after I stopped.

Example-

I've read more than 26 books over the last twelve months. Before I became 100% sober I had not read 26 books over any ten year time span. I won't even get into my finances, relationships, mental physical and spiritual health, the condition of my home, or my hygiene.

Aristotle once said that in life, we are never standing still. Rather, we are constantly spiraling. Either up, or down. Thus excellence is not an act, but a habit. We are what we repeatedly do.

I agree with that statement.