Notices

Auto accident

Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Auto accident

Just had an auto accident yesterday and was arrested for DUI. Hopefully no one was hurt...my car was totaled...Calling local AA tomorrow to see about classes. Need help. I never want to make my mother cry again.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hope no one was hurt as well. Been through dui, it definitely will help to start AA now and get record of all that you attend, besides being good for you. Good luck!!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hopefully no one was hurt?? Don't you know if people are okay? I'm glad you're seeking support for your drinking. And, we do understand how hard this is, and you'll find lots of support here, too.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You'll find lots of support here.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was taken to hospital by officer for bumps/cuts and a possible concussion before going to jail. The whole thing is a blur.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Time to use this wake up call to your advantage. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My brother also set up a meeting with a psychiatrist...been battling depression for years and drinking was my answer. Hopefully AA and the psych can help me get better
Old 02-24-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support here to stop drinking for good.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm sorry that happened. I hope everyone is okay. I think if anyone had been badly hurt, the police would have told you. In any case, I too hope this is a wake up call and that you'll seek help to stop drinking, or at the very least, stop driving after drinking. This could have happened to any one of us.

Welcome to SR, hewson. You'll find a lot of support here if you want to seek recovery.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They only charged me with DUI, and my bail was only $220...but hopefully my attorney can find out tomorrow. I think I need to quit all together...I can't remember the last day I didn't have a drink...usually more like 4-5 etc. All the money I've wasted on beer and for what? Misery.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Quitting all together is the best thing. We're here to support you in any way we can. Hope you hang around a while and read as much as you can. There is a lot of experience, strength and hope on this forum.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I could use all the support I can get. Am really scared....and have to admit I have a problem. Could barely sleep last night and tonight isn't looking promising either.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome hewson. I'm thankful you weren't seriously hurt.

You're in good company here - we all understand. I had DUI's before I finally admitted I couldn't touch the stuff. Tried for many years to control what I drank, but I always ended up doing stupid & dangerous things. SR helped me find the courage to stop. Glad to have you with us.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

A DUI isn't the end of the world. Many of us, including myself, have had one. Some have had more than one. It's a very expensive process and very inconvenient, too. But, you can get through it, just like we have.

The thing is...after a while, this fear will go away. I wish I could say that when I got my DUI, I quit drinking for good. I did quit for a while, but after a couple of months, I picked up again and drank for another two years. I never again drove after drinking, but I did drink again. I hope you stay scared enough that you don't do what I did.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank u all for responses...I just hope I get through, learn from it, and become a better person.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you could bottle that feeling you have now and when this happened it would be wonderful, then when the temptation came along again you could take the lid off that bottle and smell it and remember like it just happened. That fear and shame is what gets me every time. Maybe cutting down isn't the answer, maybe giving up is. You will learn a lot from the people here who have gone through the same as you, I have too. Wishing you nothing but good things x
Old 02-24-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for responses. Gives me something to do while I can't sleep
Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You've sure come to the right place. I'm so glad to hear neither you nor anyone else was seriously injured. DUI is serious, and the consequences are serious... but they don't last forever. What will last forever are the benefits of taking action now. I know it's scary and depressing, but that's the way we all feel when we start. It's why we start, you know? The weird thing is now I look back at that awful, horrible day when I finally admitted I had to change, and I realize it was one of the luckiest days of my life. Crazy how life works that way.

I never want to make my mother cry again.
You never have to again. This is the moment when we start making our loved ones proud, it just sometimes takes them a while to see the difference. But start now, and she'll soon see it.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

We appreciate that you have joined! And I, for one, will be happy when you go to an AA meeting. Do you have any questions or reservations about AA?

We have meetings where I live several times a week, but they're not "classes." At the meetings people talk about staying sober, and there is a program of "steps" for getting our lives back in order.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks readyandable...yeah the part where my mother hugged me before going back home was terrible. Crying telling me she was glad I was alive, unhurt mostly, and that she loved me. We are a family that don't show that much emotion so this was new territory. Just need to follow up and make her, dad, siblings, friends and myself proud of me by getting better.