Notices

Auto accident

Old 02-25-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I've had my own spat of legal trouble from drinking. Grand larceny plus 8 other charges while I was blacked out. The best thing to do is learn from your mistakes, accept responsibility, and turn your life around before its too late.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Just a heads up... I totaled my car in a blackout, escaped a DUI, though I was plastered. And that sobered me up for only about a WEEK.

I hope you stay determined and get lots of support. This is a nasty disease. I cannot drink moderately or responsibly 99.9% of the time, and that tenth of a percent is still a problem.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It seems that you're assuming the accident was your fault.

It may not have been.

If you'd gone through a red light or stop sign, crossed the center line or whatever, you'd likely have received at least a ticket (charges could still be in the works, of course).

This is important because you're in breach of your insurance if you were driving drunk, which means that your insurance company will come after you for any money they pay on your behalf if you were at fault (and won't pay for the damage to your vehicle). This may make the DUI charge even more worth fighting because if you can beat it they're likely to just pay the claim.

What's more, if the other driver was at fault, you'll have a claim against them notwithstanding your intoxication.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

The police report stated I turned left on a flashing yellow arrow...other car coming from other direction going straight had a green light...I guess I did not see him as i was on the phone with my mom at the time, and he hit me on my passenger side...my insurance called about claim today and left message. I'm waiting to talk to attorney before calling them back.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi Hewson - from an anxiety/depression sufferer who also binge drinks, you will never get over your depression until you quit the drinking. It doesn't how manyanti-depressants you take they don't work when you're drinking. They are two separate illnesses. I have learnt this the hard way too so please don't think I am lecturing you. It amazes me as a person who I think is semi-intelligent and rational that I will still do the two and wonder why I felt like rubbish - don't figure! Time to heal the "whole" you. Good luck with everything. We do care x
Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

welcome, I also am glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt. it could have turned out very differently I'm sure you're aware. sounds like you've already admitted you need to quit, you can if that's what you want. again welcome to sr, lots of good people lurking around this place.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Yes thanks for all the advice and help. Just need to get in touch with my lawyer for my legal issues, my new psychiatrist for my depression issues, and try AA and stick with this site for my drinking issues. And take it day by day. Hopefully this experience will mold me into the better and happier person I know I can be.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome hewson. Glad everyone is ok. I would say get to that meeting tomorrow, and the next day and so on.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for keeping us informed Hewson. Maybe there'll be a happy ending to all this. You sound ready to make the big change.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks today was a somewhat better day after lunch time...got out of bed and helped my dad do some repairs around the house...still feeling sore in various spots from accident. Need to talk to lawyer and hopefully go to AA meeting tomorrow. This forum has been really helping me get through these last two days.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Nights and mornings always worse right now. Can't sleep and so depressed in mornings can't get out of bed until at least lunch if that.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

When I first stopped drinking I had insomnia for 3 days,no sleep at all.
And was very anxious.
Just remember,there's really not a lot you can do about the past.
But, there is a bunch of good things you can do right now and in the future.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hiya Hewson , I'm so glad you joined us . The great thing is , there is always someone to talk to here , day or night .

My worst times in the beginning were 2, 3. 4 am ...until I started talking here to pass those dreaded mornings away .

I too , like Suki got a DUI . I stopped drinking for a year , then 5 years later got another . It cost me heavily financially as I had to have a blower installed into my car for a year .

I think this is definitely your wake up call .

I reckon it would be a great idea to get your bloods drawn , check you out and i wouldn't be surprised if you have depression and are self medicating , like many of us here did , including myself .

Congrats on taking the bull by the horns and doing something about it .

Keep posting and stay near us .

Please talk to someone here before you get an urge to drink and we can talk you through.

You sound like you've had enough .

Good luck and i wish you well xxxx

;-))
Old 02-26-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

You can do it Hewson.

I got a DUI a little over a month ago, and am dealing with the backlash as we speak. I go to Jail on friday... Have to take 32 hours of drug and alcohol counseling. Not sure how they expect me to get everywhere as my license is now suspended. But the good news through all of this is that I have been Sober now 36 days. And I got sober with the help of this forum, and through the fellowship of AA. I take solace in the fact that I have been trying to quit for years, and now I finally have an awesome reason to stay quit. I am viewing my DUI as a gift as it probably saved my life in the long run. Good luck to you! You can do it!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks again all. I do keep this website pulled up on my iPhone so I can always do something when I can't sleep or need some guidance. Just worried at night and in mornings thinking about the wreck, my impending case, my parents paying for everything, finding a job after this, getting another car once I get license back, finding other healthy alternative hobbies instead of drinking, etc. This is only the third day after accident/DUI and yesterday was a little better...first day and a half I did not move from bed. Hopefully each day gets a little better and I can deal with my troubles straight on and with a clear mind.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

welcome....

In 2005 I was in a similar situation.

I was sentenced to AA amongst other things, including a 'scared straight' program that included having to tour the LA county morgue, watch an autopsy, see hundreds of bodies stacked in clear plastic bags atop one another and a 6 month alcohol counseling program.

Of course, I didn't have "a problem". I did my time, didn't drink during it - for the MOST part - and then when it was all behind me, went right back to normal life feeling I'd learned my lesson and boy, I'd never overdo it with drinking again.

in 2011 I found myself performing roadside antics for some state troopers in an effort to convince them I wasn't drunk. Spent the night in a cell with a guy who had stolen a school bus drunk and crashed it into a light pole. He laughed as he told the story; "I didn't even KNOW I knew how to drive a school bus!!!"

I got sober and went to AA for 6 months.... well, almost 6 months. Then I decided I was OK. Had just had some bad runs of luck and hadn't paid attention to my "balance" in life and the times and reasons I was drinking.....

Took me until December of 2013 to finally get serious and realize how I was fooling myself. I'm sure glad I realized it before my 3rd DUI or worse.... which would be an automatic felony. So grateful I didn't hurt or kill anyone, or myself.

My prayer for you is that you find in this a clear and strong commitment to sobriety and avoid the years of further pain, misery, cost, sadness and suffering that will come if you don't.....

I am sorry you're in this situation - but I encourage you to look at it as a gift.

Welcome aboard.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Finally got out of bed and shaved/showered this morning...need to focus on just getting through this and getting healthier/better
Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Literally one day at a time Hewson . You are doing great xx just try to get thru each day and don't look too far forward yet .
Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's normal to feel exhausted and overwhelmed at first. The good thing is, once it's over you never have to go back there again. You're doing great - keep posting.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There's no hole so deep we can't get out of it Hewson.

Well, one...