Notices

New Member!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Member!

Hello to all.

My name is Natalie. I go by Nat. I am new to this site and I must say that I joined because I stumbled upon it many times reading others posts / sage advice and so on. I thought to myself, "Why not join already? These people are cool."

I have been sober since August 23, 2011. (The day / year I found out I was pregnant with my lovely daughter, Madeline.) I decided after I had her that I never wanted to have another drink again. I swore that I would NEVER be that Mom nor the terrible person that I think I 'had' become. I was a heavy after 5 drinker from age 19-26. (I'm talking bottle of wine, shots, chased down with a few + beers. ...let's just say that I am keeping close tabs on my liver / kidneys these days.)

I figured that I needed to start having some support. I began recovery on my own, however, I threw a birthday party for my husband (first week of January), and let's just say it got a little out of hand. (Thank God I sent my daughter off with grandparents.) I DID NOT drink, however, everyone around me was drinking, cutting up, having a blast, and I felt like I was going to freaking explode. I even got a tension headache from the nightlong "test of endurance" (as I call it). I was ready to explode.

Long story short...

I have come to the conclusion that I need support. For this was my first time being put in a "party hardy" situation and I nearly came unglued. I wanted to drink...and it scared the he** out of me. But, I didn't. I didn't... *whew*

Thank you for reading this long introduction of mine. Please, tell me about yourselves! I am a great listener / reader (i guess) and if I can help any of you in any way, let me know. I'm sure I will be seeking some advice!

Lots of love,
Nat[/FONT]
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Nat and congrats on your sober time, It's great you recognize you need more support-SR is a fantastic place
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety and getting through a tough evening. Tons of support here and your success is inspirational - Im sure you will have a lot to contribute as well. Welcome!!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. So you still have an alcoholic mind. Atleast you didnt drink over it as many do. I have learned that I must not hide from booze and I do not put myself in situations like what you just described. I have a game plan, an exit strategy so to speak. This is a deadly game that we are playing here. Well I guess its time now to get to work on this "problem"
Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nat,

Congratulations on your recovery. It sounds like you're doing great!

I don't have a problem being around alcohol at this point, but at the same time, I wouldn't enjoy myself in a party situation like you were in. It sounds like alcohol was a main focus on the party? Maybe another time, you could plan something different.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

Wow Nat, great first post...welcome to the site Well done on your sobriety and for making it through that test without picking up. Seems like a good decision to seek out support and you will find plenty of it here. Glad to have you with us
Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time and Great job on passing a tough test. Your daughter is worth it. Visit this site often. After time, its easy to forget why we quit.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi

Welcome. I admire you for reaching out....after you have been sober.... You are smart and strong!
you are correct - these people are cool!

Peace
Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Welcome. So you still have an alcoholic mind. Atleast you didnt drink over it as many do. I have learned that I must not hide from booze and I do not put myself in situations like what you just described. I have a game plan, an exit strategy so to speak. This is a deadly game that we are playing here. Well I guess its time now to get to work on this "problem"

YES! Matt4x4 , I do have an alcoholic mind, addict mind, in fact. I would abuse prescription drugs, too. I actually, that night, (night of the party) found myself looking in the medicine cabinet for SOMETHING that would calm me down; alas, my rational side knew better. I could not believe how tempted I felt after almost 3 years of sobriety. Again, one reason why I am here. My will is strong, but, obviously, it needs a little bit more strength. I appreciate you replying so quickly.

What is your story? If you don't mind my asking???

Thanks!

Nat
Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Nat,

Congratulations on your recovery. It sounds like you're doing great!

I don't have a problem being around alcohol at this point, but at the same time, I wouldn't enjoy myself in a party situation like you were in. It sounds like alcohol was a main focus on the party? Maybe another time, you could plan something different.
Hi Anna! Unfortunately, yes. It became a main focus at the party. People (OLD friends whom we hadn't seen in a while) just showed up bringing booze and I was just shocked! I had not seen some of these people since before I got pregnant (in 2011) and couldn't believe it. They seriously acted ridiculous. They were having "drunk epiphanies" and it seriously made me want to kick them in the shins. I just wanted to say "do you know how ridiculous you sound right now???" Then I thought, "Dear Lord, that was probably me at one point in time." - You know what's funny, is my husband still drinks (3 or 4 beers EVERY night) and I do not feel tempted...at all! O_O He never drank as much as me, however, he still continues to drink every night. What do you think about that? Again, it does not tempt me, however, do you think he's doing so in moderation? He really can't go a night without a beer. Anywho, I feel that there is nothing I can say to him without sounding like a hypocrite.

I'd appreciate some of your thought / input.

Anna, if you don't mind my asking, what is your story? You don't have to tell me...I guess I could go to your profile and look! (if you have it posted!) Thank you so much for reading. I tend to type a lot...

<3 - Nat
Old 02-24-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello,

Congrats on your sobriety. While it might not have helped in this particular situation, as I think you were at home, I have found that when going places where drinking is to be expected, that it helps to have an escape plan; i.e. park on the street so you are not blocked in, have an excuse ready to pardon yourself if it gets to be too much for you, have a sober friend to call, etc. I wish you well.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Knat good to have you hear. You have done an amazing job on your own, but now you have this resource for support. Have you tried any meetings? You can surround yourself with the fellowship of sober people and socialize/party with them. Also, if you have friends in AA, that would be a great time to call one up when you feel like you are going to explode from temptation.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Natalie xxxx