Notices

New and struggling

Old 02-23-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and struggling

Hello all!

I have been sober and in out-patient treatment for 13 days. Its been ok until this weekend. I don't fell remotely tired and am having strong cravings. Have taken two sleeping aids and I feel nothing. I can't even get any work done. I want to crawl out of my skin!!! This sucks!!!!

Thanks for letting me rant:-)
Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 13 days, I am sorry you are feeling so bad now. It will pass, I promise!! When I'm having strong cravings, usually it means I need to eat something. Also, distracting yourself away from the cravings helps. Put a movie in or a series that you can get really into. Just get busy with something. Call someone you feel comfortable talking to.

Hang in there, I hope you feel better
Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, that's nice. I have heard about a series I haven't yet binge-watched. I don't have any snack food and dont feel hungry lately. Maybe I will make some tea. I hope to get to know some of you on here. Tried calling a couple friends but no answers. Don;t have many to talk to--especially my husband!!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes - drink a cup of tea, take a bath, watch some tv. It's just about getting through this time and you WILL get through it.

I watched 8 episodes in a row of Downton Abbey yesterday while essentially hiding from my family in my bedroom. It did the trick.

Hang in there - you are doing so well even if it doesn't feel like it.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hope you feel better soon. Welcome
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on having almost two sober weeks under your belt. The good news is that the first few weeks are the hardest (at least they were for me).
Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Whino - hang in there and stay strong - things will get better.
You'll find a lot of support here too

D
Old 02-24-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a very friendly and supportive place. I hope we can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done on 3 days xxx
Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whino View Post
Thank you, that's nice. I have heard about a series I haven't yet binge-watched. I don't have any snack food and dont feel hungry lately. Maybe I will make some tea. I hope to get to know some of you on here. Tried calling a couple friends but no answers. Don;t have many to talk to--especially my husband!!
Congrats!! I love binge watching tv shows, until i realize how much they drink on tv... maybe a meeting binge is a better way to spend your time? get involved in the program, or go hang out with sober people? Definitely follow H.A.L.T., don't get HUNGRY, ANGRY, LONELY, or TIRED, great job on calling people, i have to call 10 people until i get a voice some days..

Good luck and keep coming back!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job on 13! Have you tried getting some excercise?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done on 13 days. Don't throw that away by drinking now. Keep occupied, go out, think about how much better your life is going to be, eat some ice cream. Battle these cravings, they will get weaker as time goes by. Keep posting and good luck
Old 02-25-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done on day 13 (me too). You've come this far do anything to distract yourself. Binge watching series is my fave. At present. Have caught up on all my series and even watched the walking dead from ep 1 again lol.

Keep posting and reading. Lots of support here. I know it has helped me through lots of cravings.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Whino! I know how frustrated you feel, but things should start to look up soon. You'll go through many phases as you heal. You're doing great.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Whino! Welcome to SR. The first two weeks are the toughest, hang in there it does get easier. Like others said, stay busy. Exercise, do a puzzle, go for a massage, call a friend,take a long bath.....Congratulations on doing this for you!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Whino - it amazes me how many shows I have watched while I am drinking and missed the endings - my husband usually had to recount the ending for me or I would have to re-watch - real smart! Congrats on how far you've come and keep going, we are all here for you x
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

well whino 13 days are gone and you were sober just keep it simple 1 day at the time. I being doing the same and almost all the suggestions that every body is giving you.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've found meditation to work very well when the urge strikes. It's calming and the urge usually vanishes quickly as I become relaxed and stop thinking about a drink. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

watch out for addictive sleep aids, they could become your next addiction. Seroquel was the best thing I ever found for sleep in early recovery. Strap yourself in, your in for a ride! Your struggles won't end once you do get sleep, people still struggle after years in recovery. But the good times become more and more. There is no quick fix for this soul sickness. CONGRATULATIONs on making it this far. Get to plenty of meetings