Notices

Back where I started

Old 02-23-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kla

Unhappy Back where I started

Well I had a nice run I suppose. although it seems longer than two years, I was a member of the class of January 2012, after a disastrous New Year's Day. Things were going ok for me, but for some reason which I can't recall now, meeting old friends in New Orleans for the weekend seemed like a good idea. There was an incident in a bar, some sleeping in a bush, and a further incident at the hotel. I'm such an ass. Today I really feel awful, and know that I don't deserve the great family and friends that I have.. Not sure how I'm going to get through the rest of the day and night.

I know back in 2012 the fact that i put a few posts here really helped me accept reality, hoping for the same this time I suppose. Thanks.

Last edited by kla; 02-23-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Addition of one sentence
Old 02-23-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for a timely warning to all of us.
I am sure that if I get too cocky I will end up back where I was for decades.
That's why I like coming here, going to meetings, and meditating every morning over the day ahead, along with a quick review of my rotten past..
I am sure you will now recoup and return to those infinitely saner better ways...
  # 3 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi Don't drink today - it will only make things worse. Pick up and get back to being sober. Welcome back
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back,It's so scary to read posts like yours when someone's been sober for so long then picks up again.It shows we can never think we're cured. You were sober for a long time though-do what you did then to get sober again.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hey.... you DO deserve the great family and friends you have and right now is a really great time to be grateful for them.

You screwed up. But that doesn't mean you're not deserving of goodness in your life.

Take this as a powerful reminder and vivid piece of evidence that sobriety IS the right path for you.

And thank you.... you're helping me stay sober today.

welcome back.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back kla

Free Owl is right - you do deserve all those things.
Hate the illness, not the sick - you can get back on the right road again

D
Old 02-23-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kla

Thanks everyone, I sure hope I can make this work. The whole thing seems so much more overwhelming and depressing than it did in 2012, I guess that time around had the "newness" factor, since it was my first attempt to go without alcohol for any extended length of time.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad to see you back kla. I do think posting & reading here regularly will help. At least you know you're never alone.

Sometimes we need further proof that we can't predict what'll happen when we pick up. I needed a few bad times like you described - any one of them could have led to disaster. I finally had to admit I couldn't touch it. It was easier than trying to control it and always failing. You don't need it in your life - we know you can get free of it. Never stop trying.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kla,
You deserve every great thing. I drank this weekend after 22 days sober. I feel frustrated and hopeless. But I'm not, you're not, we all are here because we want a better life, and that's got to count for something.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

deleted
Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
kla

I hope everyone is having on OK day. I'm having a hard time believing how far I fell in only a couple days. Friday I was sitting at this same desk, incredibly excited about an upcoming job interview, and some other things going on. Today in sitting here half hungover, haven't slept or eaten since Saturday, and can't bare to think about anything. Too hard...
Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I feel your disappointment coming through my I pad!! But realistically what are your options?
You can't rewind time! What is done is done. You now need to react!! Use your disappointment to drive your sobriety forward. Don't waste your energy on something you can not change. Learn from what happened. Put this in your memory bank for next time. Get back up and make yourself proud of yourself!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by kla View Post
I hope everyone is having on OK day. I'm having a hard time believing how far I fell in only a couple days. Friday I was sitting at this same desk, incredibly excited about an upcoming job interview, and some other things going on. Today in sitting here half hungover, haven't slept or eaten since Saturday, and can't bare to think about anything. Too hard...
Worry about moving forward and putting together a plan to not drink today. As others have mentioned you have no control over what you've already done. The withdrawal/hangover symtpoms are only temporary, they will pass soon enough.

Remember how bad you feel today too, the next time you choose to drink again will most likely be even worse.