Notices

I nearly died Friday night

Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I nearly died Friday night

Hi all, I was a member a few years ago but never got past day 3. Things got a lot worse and after drinking a bottle of wine in 10mins flat ( because my dp was coming home) he found me unconscious on the bathroom floor and hardly breathing. Lucky for me he rang an ambulance and they "jump started" me back. My oesophagus had collapsed and my body gave up. I'm 34 (just) with 2 children who were with their dad for the weekend luckily. I haven't drank since but struggling. I hope I can do this!! That friend by the way I'd already had 2vodkas and half a bottle of wine before the bottle! It was 5pm. My father died when he was 24 of liver failure. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR. I'm sorry to hear what happened on Friday but maybe it's the wake up call you needed to get sober.

Your children deserve a mum who is alive and sober and you deserve a better life. I would recommend joining the February class on here. I still check in with my class from 14 months ago and they are a great source of support and strength. You can do this
Old 02-23-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi wow that sounds really scary. Find support here to stay sober, make a plan, and then you CAN do this... Take it one day at a time! Welcome back.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys at the moment I'm too scared to have a drink if that makes sense. I don't want to either but in the hospital it's easy not to drink. Got a psych meeting in the morning - dreading telling work but need signed off at same time if that makes sense? I work full time for a bank, reasonably high up too.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, you're doing the right thing getting signed off work - they don't necessarily need to mention alcohol in the sick note,ask them not to if you prefer. The first few days of withdrawal can be rough so you're better off at home/hospital.

I understand about how you feel too scared/ill to have a drink now but that feeling will wear off. It 's good to have a plan for when you feel much better and fancy a drink.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome. Glad you are alive. Hang on to life.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

That must have been terrifying. I wish you well and sober xxxx
Old 02-23-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad your friend was there. Please take care and wishing you much support in your recovery x
Old 02-23-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a really close call swindon.
When I had mine I decided that my life was too important to me to waste anymore.

Do whatever you have to do to stay sober - you deserve a better life and your kids deserve a happy healthy mum.

get as much support as you can and make whatever changes you need to.

D
Old 02-23-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome swindon32, glad you are here. Best wishes.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all. My family are from a remote island in the outer Hebrides of Scotland, my aunty has a house on the edge of a cliff and the island has one shop on it which is miles away from her and she'd have to drive me there to get access to booze. She's also a nurse, I'm going there on Tuesday for month to dry out.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Swindon, the time has come for you to really look at how you want your future to be. Do you want your children growing up without a mother, just as you never had your father for years? I was motivated to stop drinking by thinking about what legacy I'll leave behind. Nothing fancy, but I didn't want people to say I went ok until the booze got hold of me. I didn't want to be an object of pity.
I hope your dry out goes well, and when you come back you can put enough support into place to stay sober. I think you'll love being free of the guilt and burden of alcohol.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

Glad you came back swindon and well done on making the decision to kick this thing. You can do this and we are all behind you...hope you will log in from your auntie's and let us know how you're doing. Best to you, Meg
Old 02-23-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome back, I agree with the others in thinking it could be a wake up call, I really do wish and hope this is the turning point for you, please stick with it and just keep thinking what a sober life can do for you and your family.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by swindon32 View Post

My oesophagus had collapsed and my body gave up.
one of my AA friends that died after returning to the booze
I think died of that same thing
this drinking issue has become very serious for you
please seek help wherever you can find it

this forum will probably not be enough so as to keep you sober

Mountainman
Old 02-23-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You almost died. That's it. . . as real as it gets. SR is a great community, but I agree with Mountainman, you may need more resources to help get you well. Good luck to you.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Thanks for this. I know that I certainly don't want that kind of risk in my life any longer. Best of luck!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My partner nipped out to see his family so I went to the local shop, bought cigarettes and NOTHING else. I'm home now shaking .....
Old 02-23-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Maybe it's best if you just stay home and don't go out to the shop. Being there inthe shop in front of the alcohol may just be too tempting.

For info for people in the US -you can buy alcohol in any corner shop in the UK so you just pop to the local shop for milk and the alcohol is usually in the aisle near the till so it really can't be avoided unless you avoid the shop completely.

How are your children swindon? Have you got someone to look after them whilst you get through these first few days? I agree with other posters on here about consider what legacy you want to leave for your children. I stopped drinking because of my son but stay sober for me now. If your children had been with you Friday night the hospital/police would have had no hesitation in calling in social services. There are some mums on here in the UK who have had their children removed from them because of alcohol. I know that thought keeps me sober now.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome back to SR.

Sounds to me that you need help now.

Have you tried AA?

If you live in Swindon the helpline number is. 01380 729 064,the line is manned 24 hours.

If you don't live in Swindon I have all the helpline numbers in the UK as I am a telephone responder for AA.