Notices

odd trigger

Old 02-22-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

odd trigger

I thought of you guys when I went to the liquor store. I only have gone to this particular store for incense, so that's not my trigger.

I often enjoy frozen pizza and a glass(s) of wine. I felt myself thinking about the half glass of Chardonnay sitting in the fridge. I realize I'm associating the pizza with the wine. So I thought: go to the produce section of the grocery store and see if there's something you want there. Just found a potato, LOL.

So now that pizza is about to go in the microwave. And I owe one of my friends a call. That's another trigger: catching up on the phone with a good friend.

Will I consume 1/2 a glass today --only? Will I consume none and stick with this coconut flavored aloe drink?

I am going to a meeting today.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi TooCute,

I've found that changing my routines has been very helpful in keeping cravings at bay and staying sober. In particular, I've eliminated many of those things that were associated with drinking in my mind (including several food items) because I felt they imposed high risk of relapsing. Even cut out a few people and I actually told them why I won't be in touch, maybe catch up sometime in the future but for a while. no.
Good luck!
Old 02-22-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My life was full of triggers by the end.

If something triggers you, then it's ok not to do it for a while.
Buy something else instead of pizza.

And I know in another thread you said you were ok with the liquor store, but personally I'd shop elsewhere for a while.

All it would take is one moment of vulnerability.

Been there done that.

D
Old 02-22-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You have much awareness which is good so just try to act on it. Have a nice bit of chicken or something xxxx
Old 02-22-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you don't give in to the temptation. Pour it out.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you. And BTW, if you still have a half-glass of wine sitting in the fridge, it might be good to pour that down the drain pronto. What is it doing there? Get rid of it. I also second avoiding the liquor store. Why continue? Is there nowhere else to get incense? It sounds like you're doing a great job of watching out for those triggers, but removing the temptation all together is probably going to help out even more.

Hope your meeting went well!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good for you to have the sense to get to a meeting, but a meeting can't keep you sober.

I don't quite understand all your details, but I suggest that you not try to play mental games with thoughts of drinking. The booze will win. Trust me on that -- you don't have to find out for yourself.