Notices

Struggling with acceptance

Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling with acceptance

Hi everyone. I just downloaded this app to my phone. I've been struggling for quite a while with accepting I'm an alcoholic. I know it's just my addictive mind telling me this to get me to keep drinking. I've never been a daily drinker but when I do drink it's never only one or two. If I drink that I want more and keep going. I've tried buying smaller bottles like a lot of people do and that does work sometimes. But other times then I go out and get more. I wish that voice in my head would go away that tells me I have no problem and I'm "not like others". I know that's ********.... :-/
Old 02-22-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never been a daily drinker.......YET
Old 02-22-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
I've never been a daily drinker.......YET
yeah, I know this is a progressive disease and it will only get worse
Old 02-22-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. There's lots of support here. Let us help you find a sober life.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the SR family. There's lots of support here. Let us help you find a sober life.
Thank you! I'm liking what I see so far..
Old 02-22-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

welcome
This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed. ( bb,chtp 3,1st ed)

it is the delusional thinking you are experiencing.Some call it the obsession to drink.
It is pure insanity in my book for me to think like that.
Chapter 3 in the big book talks about that thinking we sometimes have or had.
The thoughts that precede a drink...The thoughts we seem unable to manage at times
I suggest you study chpt 3 intensely and see what you can learn and then try to identify those thoughts in your head as they come.

I was on step 3 when I noticed they was gone
what a happy day
Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
welcome This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed. ( bb,chtp 3,1st ed) it is the delusional thinking you are experiencing.Some call it the obsession to drink. It is pure insanity in my book for me to think like that. Chapter 3 in the big book talks about that thinking we sometimes have or had. The thoughts that precede a drink...The thoughts we seem unable to manage at times I suggest you study chpt 3 intensely and see what you can learn and then try to identify those thoughts in your head as they come. I was on step 3 when I noticed they was gone what a happy day
Thank you! What a great feeling that must have been for you to have that obsession lifted. I am aware my thinking is distorted but have a hard time fighting the urges at times when my disease is much stronger telling me it's okay. I will take a look at chapter 3 now in the BB. I've only gotten as far as reading the doctors opinion besides bits and pieces of other pages in big book meetings.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by linds79 View Post
I wish that voice in my head would go away that tells me I have no problem and I'm "not like others". I know that's ********.... :-/
The voice does go away. With sobriety. Recovery removes the obsession to drink, and the voice in our head that tells us we can drink.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you understand that it's your disease talking to you. You don't have to label yourself as 'alcoholic' but it's important to accept that you can no longer drink alcohol, ever.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome, and I'm glad you understand that it's your disease talking to you. You don't have to label yourself as 'alcoholic' but it's important to accept that you can no longer drink alcohol, ever.
Thank you but I cannot say I will never drink again. That thought is too much for me to handle. I focus the best I can on just not drinking for today only
Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can relate. I drink every few days. Usually it starts out okay. Never "normal" but okay. I think oh I can handle this. My drinking is fine. Then as the weeks go on I drink more and more until something bad happens. The bad thing that happens keeps getting worse and worse. I'm just hoping this last time was the last. Good luck to you. This site is eye opening!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily123 View Post
Welcome! I can relate. I drink every few days. Usually it starts out okay. Never "normal" but okay. I think oh I can handle this. My drinking is fine. Then as the weeks go on I drink more and more until something bad happens. The bad thing that happens keeps getting worse and worse. I'm just hoping this last time was the last. Good luck to you. This site is eye opening!
The first step is at least recognizing this pattern so we are on our way to recovery. I wish you the best of luck too. Stay strong! Yeah I like this app a lot so far. I use another one too. A sober chat app that's pretty good as well
Old 02-22-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

If forever is too intense a concept, focus on not drinking today - thats more achievable...but also commit to coming back and reaffirming that decision tomorrow

The more sober days you rack up the better picture you'll get of life sober. I'm confident you'll come to see it's nothing to be afraid of

D
Old 02-22-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome!

there's a phone app???

Hey, congratulations on taking steps to work on your acceptance. I understand... we all do. It's a journey, in my experience.

I wish you strength and clarity as you choose the sober path.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Yes, there is a phone app! A great $1.99 investment! And for me, a newcomer, and other lifer's I've talked to, the AV we have never goes away...... we just recognize when he whispers..... it's a long, hard road, but every mile is worth it!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

And Dee is right, forever is too long of a concept! I love when people reach birthdays and milestones, but in a way it is also depressing, how will I ever get that far in sobriety? The answer is clear, one minute, one hour, one day, one month...
Old 02-22-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If forever is too intense a concept, focus on not drinking today - thats more achievable...but also commit to coming back and reaffirming that decision tomorrow The more sober days you rack up the better picture you'll get of life sober. I'm confident you'll come to see it's nothing to be afraid of D
Thank you! I agree. This program is all about "just for today". It's too much to think beyond that..
Old 02-22-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
welcome! there's a phone app??? Hey, congratulations on taking steps to work on your acceptance. I understand... we all do. It's a journey, in my experience. I wish you strength and clarity as you choose the sober path.
It was a dollar on my iPhone to download this app. I also have "sober chat" app on this which I've been on for months! Check it out. It's a lot different than this app. There's no forums. It's all groups and live chat.. Like the old chat rooms we had back in the 90s
Old 02-22-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abcowboy View Post
Yes, there is a phone app! A great $1.99 investment! And for me, a newcomer, and other lifer's I've talked to, the AV we have never goes away...... we just recognize when he whispers..... it's a long, hard road, but every mile is worth it!
Check out sober chat app on iPhone. It's free! I have used that for months
Old 02-22-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Linds, I also use Ipromise