Notices

Struggling with acceptance

Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

welcome! Dee hit the nail on the head for me, I doubt I could ever commit to not drinking for forever. but for today, I choose not to drink. again welcome to the community, I know I'm sure glad I'm here.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

That voice has told me all kinds of lies. When I was drinking, I believed it but now I just tell it to shut up. You seem to realize what is best for your life and that is respectful. Just remember that the stupid ideas are "the voice", you just keep making the smart decisions and you've got it made. Welcome!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've been a daily drinker far more regularly than a binge drinker. I think we all have our demons. I hope you find support and help here. I have. I know I am an alcoholic so for me there is no questioning that. But it took me a while to figure that out. And, I am still struggling with sobriety. Best to you.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
waking down

Linds, the fact that you're here says a lot. For what it's worth, I drank on and off for about 38 years, binging at times, moderate at times, but never a daily thing until the last two years. It just crept up on me. I quit to "clean out" many times, never thinking it would be forever, and always went back. I guess that's why for me, and yes it is overwhelming, I have to think it's forever this time. But to get to forever I have to take it a day at a time. It's a paradox, but so is craving something that was killing me.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome, Linds! I agree that "never again" is SO daunting sometimes. I don't know if you're family with "Rational Recovery," but there's a recommended kind of mantra in there that actually helps me deal with this concept a lot better. It's, "I never drink now." I like it, because it wraps my brain around the "never" part, while also keeping it focused on that particular moment in time.

Thanks for posting, glad you're here.