Notices

Struggling...

Old 02-21-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling...

Struggling as hell with my sobriety, have had a week sober here and there. I then exersice and have taken up running but then fall of the wagon and get depressed because I ruin my training. Now I have decided to stay sober and try to run my race in three months. I hope my body will recover. Do you think in three months all the poison is gone?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hi Laura ... Welcome to SR!

Yes I do think the poison in your body will be gone in three months. But for me the poison was my thinking and that's taken a bit longer.

Can I suggest something based on my own efforts? Trying to run the race is great! Really. Not sure I could. But when I focus on something else and then hope it will solve or help end my drinking i set myself up. If i do drink then I failed at two things. I get in a real bad state.

Don't tie the two things together. In fact always make not drinking the number one thing and only that alone. I spend a lot of time focusing on that single accomplishment... And it is possible... And then doing something like running will happen. Then if I fail at running the race it does not also take my sobriety. I simply messed up the race.

Sobriety first!

All the best to you! Glad you found us!

Ken
Old 02-21-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it is a great idea to have a target to aim for. It gives you focus and extra encouragement to stay off the poison! You aim for three months off the beer and I guarantee your training and running will improve. I have been training and running for over 40 years and I tell you that by not drinking I feel as good now as I did 40 years ago, just not as fast! Keep up the good work and keep posting your progress.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, encouraging to read that my training will improve. How fast does the body recover, when can I excpect to feel better, sleep improving et c?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it varies for most people Laura...more than a week and less than 2 months really

I certainly started to feel normal again by 3 months

D
Old 02-21-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeah it does vary, but after three months you will definitely see a big difference xxxxx
Old 02-21-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you are struggling to stay sober, are you making the changes needed to support sobriety? Are you seeking the support you need to keep you on the sober path?

Running and exercise is great. All healthy pursuits should be encouraged. But running isn't a comprehensive recovery plan.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree that maintaining your sobriety and finding a plan to best help you do that should be your highest priority. But, FWIW, if you continue your running, I can tell you how it worked for me.

I ran one or two marathons a year for the last 10 years, while I was actively drinking. Running/training was a fairly effective remedy for a hangover. And it helped me trick myself into believing that I must not be an alcoholic if I run marathons. My last drink was in August of 2013. I ran my next marathon in October, two months later, thinking that it would be much easier and that I would be much faster. Neither proved to be true. For me, it took 4 or 5 months before I really noticed an improvement in my conditioning. I think it took my body that long to adjust to the change. Now, about 6 months sober, I can tell you that I am running faster and easier than ever.

So, give it time. Don't expect huge changes within the first 3 months. But rest assured, you will be a much better runner - and a much better person - if you can stay sober.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was running marathons within three months of recovery my first time around.... you can totally do it.

Running is SO much better a high....

You can do it.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes the poison will be gone. For me personally I have gave my sobriety a life of its own. Whatever happens to me good or bad, is apart from my decision not to drink today. Good things happen, bad things happen, and nothing happens. All of these cannot have any influence on my sobriety, I must deal with life. Rigorous honesty.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good luck on the race.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Hi Laura,

It takes some time to get the poison to shed and that time is always different depending on the amount of alcohol and lots of other factors. As previously stated, try to keep your sobriety separate from your running goals. Your sobriety should be viewed as an overall life improvement change while your running is a fitness goal.

Your sobriety will improve many things... relationships, self worth, self esteem, career, mental clarity etc. While it will also contribute to your fitness and overall health, it will have far more benefits to your life and therefore is more important than your time in a running event.

Keep it up... you are doing great! Good Luck in your race!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have you got any other support to stay sober Laura? It's good to have something else to focus on but staying sober isn't just a matter of gritting our teeth and finding something else to do, you may find you need to look more into support groups or recovery methods like AA or SMART x
Old 02-22-2014, 01:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

FreeOwl, marathons so quickly after getting sober? Did you run before as well?
Old 02-22-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all answers. Im on my mobile but will continue writing later on my computer.