Notices

~~ Newcomers ~~Plus

Old 06-23-2004, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile ~~ Newcomers ~~Plus

I found this and knew it needed to be shared.

Hi newcomers I hope you all find what's needed in your lives, and also know how blessed you've been finding SoberRecovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As one enters their journey of recovery, one of the first tools that we learn to help with us having acceptance and identifying our powerlessness we are taught to use the Serenity Prayer. For some of us we have heard the words of the prayer before enter our new life of sobriety and yet for others this prayer is new. One thing that is common in either person is the fact that very little understanding of what one is really saying when they speak this prayer to their Higher Power. Mr. Charles Whitfield "Alcoholism & Spirituality" breaks the prayer down for us in order to offer a clear understanding and meaning of the Serenety Prayer.

GOD
SAYING THIS WORD I AM ADMITTING THE EXISTENCE OF A CONSCIOUSNESS OR? OF? A HIGHER POWER THAT IS GREATER THAN I.

GRANT

SAYING THIS SECOND WORD, I AM ADMITTING THAT THIS CONSCIOUSNESS OR HIGHER POWER IS ABLE TO BESTOW AND GIVE TO ME AND TO OTHERS.

ME THE

I AM ASKING SOMETHING FOR MYSELF. HOLY BOOKS SAY THAT IF I ASK SINCERELY, IT SHALL BE GIVEN. IT IS NOT WRONG TO ASK FOR IMPROVING MYSELF. FOR WITH THE IMPROVEMENT OF MY CHARACTER, BOTH I AND PEOPLE AROUND ME WILL BE HAPPIER, AND MY RELATIONSHIPS WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE TO IMPROVE.

SERENITY

I AM ASKING FOR CALMNESS, COMPOSURE AND INNER PEACE IN MY LIFE WHICH WILL ENABLE ME TO TRANSCEND MY EGO, TO THINK STRAIGHT AND TO GOVERN MYSELF PROPERLY.

TO ACCEPT

I AM RESIGNING MYSELF TO CONDITIONS AS THEY ARE RIGHT NOW. I AM LIVING IN THE NOW, THE PRESENT MOMENT.

THE THINGS

I ACKNOWLEDGE MY TRAGEDY, DEATH, SUFFERING, ILLNESS AND PAIN, AS A PART OF MY LIFE, NEITHER GOOD NOR BAD. I ACCEPT MY HUMANNESS AND FALLIBILITY. I AM ACCEPTING MY LOT IN LIFE AS IT IS. UNTIL I HAVE THE COURAGE TO CHANGE ANY PART OF MY LIFE I DON'T LIKE, I MUST ACCEPT IT, WITHOUT DOING SO GRUDGINGLY.

I CANNOT CHANGE

I CAN'T PREVENT THESE EVENTS OR CONDITIONS FROM HAPPENING TO ME OR TO OTHERS.

COURAGE

A QUALITY WHICH ENABLES ME TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEMS AND REALITIES OF LIFE WITHOUT RELIANCE ON ALCOHOL OR DRUGS. A DETERMINATION TO STAND MY GROUND AND "SLUG IT OUT" WITH ALL ISSUES, PLEASANT OR OTHERWISE, THAT MIGHT RETURN ME TO DRINKING OR USING. A STRENGTH OF MY SPIRIT TO FACE AND HANDLE THE NEGATIVE. FEARLESSNESS IN THE PRACTICE OF FAITH, HUMILITY AND HONESTY.

TO CHANGE

IN FACING THESE NEGATIVES DIRECTLY AND HONESTLY, I AM ASKING FOR MYSELF AND MY LIFE CONDITIONS TO BE DIFFERENT FOR ME. I AM TAKING AN ACTIVE PART IN THIS CHANGING.

THE THINGS I CAN

I AM ASKING FOR HELP TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISIONS. EVERYTHING IS NOT THE WAY I WOULD LIKE IT TO BE IN MY LIFE. I MUST CONTINUE TO FACE REALITY AND CONSTANTLY WORK TOWARD MY CONTINUED GROWTH AND PROGRESS.

AND WISDOM

I AM ASKING FOR THE ABILITY TO RISE ABOVE MY EGO AND FORM SOUND JUDGMENTS ABOUT MYSELF AND MY LIFE. I THEN USE MY ABILITY TO ASK FOR GUIDANCE FROM MYSELF, OTHERS AND A HIGHER POWER.

TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND CLEARLY TRUTHS OF FACT. I WANT TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY IN MY LIFE SO THAT I WILL BE MORE AWARE OF MYSELF AND OF OTHERS. I NEED TO SENSE A DEFINITE VALUE IN LOVING OVER BEING SELFISH.

by Charles Whitfield

With Love....Denise
Old 06-23-2004, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks ((((Denise))))

That was lovely.

New avatar again today. Hearts would make a lovely tattoo..... :shakin Heehee.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Denise... that was really good.
I think I better copy/paste and read that one every morning, to remind myself where my mindset needs to be.

Thanks,

:condom:
What do you think this smiley emoticon looks like? I thought it looked like
a yellow smiley with a red knit stocking cap on...but NOOOOOO!
Old 06-23-2004, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Smile

Yes...thanks Denise (how come I always seem to be the echo??? LOL) Seriously, that was very very nice.

Danielle
Old 06-23-2004, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh no Talia....not the avatar thing again, hahaha, well you know the blinking hearts would look absolutly lovely on your :shakin ...all I have to say is....better your's then mine.

Um Kellie....that smilie, leaning my head a bit to the right...hey wow it's a..a...a, can we use that word in here... it starts with a C and ends with a M. there I said it, hehe. (I promise no slobber with this post) snickers to myself.

Danielle I hear an echo
Old 06-23-2004, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Denise, it is indeed a good reading and explanation of the serenity prayer.

Sherry