Notices

Just Dropping In !

Old 02-20-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Dropping In !

Greetings to the SR Community!

I have just registered and this is my first post. Since this is pretty new to me, I'll start with a summary of my situation and why I've signed on. I am 62 years young, and have been fighting with chronic pain for approx. the past 10 years. Caused by multiple problems with my lumbar area (bottom four vertebrae/disks are misaligned, and disks are deteriorating..........pressing on the sciatic nerve going down the left leg. My problems are also compounded by issues with both ankles/feet. I've sought out various medical options, and have spent the last six years under the care of a legitimate Pain Management Center. After a series of steroid injections (to no avail), I've been on a regimen of Oxycontin (80mg Tabs 3/day) and Oxycodone (30mg Tabs 3/day).

As with most of you on these narcotics, I thought the Oxycontin was a "miracle drug" the first several years. But then things started to change, especially after they reformulated the Oxycontin!! As my dosage was gradually increased, my pain relief lessened while my tolerance climbed to the max. Also, I used to feel "good" mentally from it and life was good. But that has now changed to feeling trapped in this never ending cycle of going to Pain Mgmt. each month for my scripts, worrying about pill counts, etc. I no longer have energy, and my interests/enthusiasm in life has greatly diminished.

I know the the time has come to do something about it, but I'm scared about the withdrawal sickness, and what my state of mind will be during and afterwards. I've also struggled with depression a big part of my life. By joining SR, I'm looking to connect with folks who are in, or have been my shoes. Good people who can related and lend support.

As I've been browsing around the site, I see a large portion of the subject matter focuses on alcoholism. While I know alcoholism and drug addiction have a lot of similarities, I'd like to keep my focus on the narcotics, and find a way to turn my life around.

Well, I've gone on enough for now. Anybody out there??
Thanks for listening,

Hogrider
Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had a battle with oxycontin, The stuff destroyed me for a long time, alcohol got me off it, have many friends died of this drug,

I hate alcohol and drugs
Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hogrider

We cater to all kinds of substance abuse here, both in this forum and in general

You might be interested in our Substance abuse forum tho:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hogrider, glad you are on top of it. I lost my step-sister at the age of 39 in 2012. She was healthy (some back pain). It was oxycodone and a little bit of adderol. I have my suspicions, but was shocked at the death rate, especially amongst 35-45 year olds, so get at it! :-)