Notices

Day 5

Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 5

Finally after days of exhaustion I am getting my energy back, too bad it happened at 3 in the morning. My biggest challenge is coming up this weekend. Friday I work at a restaurant/bar. First two drinks are free after my shift, then half priced from there. Plus I get at least one drink cheap a night from a regular customer. Drinking has never been so cheap. After a hectic night nothing I'd rather do than have a glass (or 4) of wine or at least 6 captain 'n diets plus shots. Saturday night is staying in with my boyfriend cooking dinner, watching movies, and getting sloshed. Yup gonna be a rough sober weekend
Old 02-20-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Wine

you'll find a lot of support here - but yeah you're gonna have to be committed to the task.

just curious: have you considered changing jobs?

D
Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by WineOOO View Post
Finally after days of exhaustion I am getting my energy back, too bad it happened at 3 in the morning. My biggest challenge is coming up this weekend. Friday I work at a restaurant/bar. First two drinks are free after my shift, then half priced from there. Plus I get at least one drink cheap a night from a regular customer. Drinking has never been so cheap. After a hectic night nothing I'd rather do than have a glass (or 4) of wine or at least 6 captain 'n diets plus shots. Saturday night is staying in with my boyfriend cooking dinner, watching movies, and getting sloshed. Yup gonna be a rough sober weekend
Dinner and movies sounds lush xxx
Old 02-20-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I like your name; why didn't I think of that?
Can you say why you needed to stop drinking? Maybe that will focus your mind on the down-side. If you do make it through the weekend sober you'll feel really proud of yourself and that much stronger.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wine I can guarantee you that if you get a sparkling water on that freebie list and then go home you are going to love Saturday morning. Free or cheap drinks are only free on the price, they cost big time in your health and sobriety.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Reasons why I decided to quit: Black outs (I woke up still drunk last Saturday with a burn on my hand and couldn't remember how it happened), intense pain in my kidneys after drinking, losing and/or misplacing money when drunk, and the fact I was drinking captain straight out of the bottle forget mixers!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I find a job that pays as well as this one does believe me I will!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@Wine - I also have a potentially alcohol-fuelled weekend coming up going away to the country with a group of my drama friends. The host has already written to us all saying "bring as much booze as you want to drink - don't only bring one bottle as you know you'll all be drinking more!". I'm not worried about being led into temptation though as I've already come up with my "excuse" - that I'm not drinking for February (if anyone questions it I can joke about it being the shortest month and therefore the easiest to do, blah blah!) - and that's what I'm sticking to. I'm secretly already looking forward to enjoying the country air, walking, catching up with my friends and doing all of it with a clear head and clear conscience!

Try not to go into this weekend already worrying that you might "fail" - perhaps try to plan in advance what free drinks you'll order after work and even practice saying that order out loud, so when you say it on Friday night it'll come out more easily! Choose soft drinks that you'll really enjoy (Google "what non-alcoholic drinks to order at the pub" for inspiration!) and look forward to drinking them. If you usually have a spirit and a mixer, leave out the spirit and just enjoy the mixer on its own, or add a dash of something to make it taste a bit different, e.g. Coke and grenadine (= cherry Coke, yum!).

For the movie night with your BF try to distract yourself from thinking you need to drink alcohol to enjoy the night... make a large bowl of popcorn and dip into that - it will keep your hands and mouth busy for ages (oops, that sounds a bit rude!!). Make yourself a long alcohol-free spritzer that will last you throughout the movie and sip on that, or treat yourself to a hot chocolate. And then just sit back, snuggle up and enjoy the movie totally and with full concentration - you'll probably enjoy it a lot more than it just going by in a fuzzy blur!

Also, start today looking forward to a wonderful hangover-free weekend and think how great you're going to feel! No burns, no kidney pains, no "missing" money, no regrets, and just a fun-packed weekend to enjoy!

Good luck, plan ahead, don't fret about failure, and just keep thinking "I will not drink today". The days will soon add up and you'll feel great about yourself!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a great place for support. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi and welcome
Make a plan for yourself for Friday and Saturday so you don't drink- think about what you are going to say and do ahead of time- I suggest this because it sounds like you already know you will drink otherwise.
Listen to your body - it speaks volumes and wants to be heard! I NEVER wake up and regret not drinking - if this EVER happens I will post the experience here!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nicecupoftea View Post
@Wine -perhaps try to plan in advance what free drinks you'll order after work and even practice saying that order out loud, so when you say it on Friday night it'll come out more easily!
excellent advice about the "saying it out loud" I love club soda or 7 up with a splash of oj/cran/pineapple whatever.. Of course, I wasn't a big drinker of anything with juice in it so that seems to help with me..

good luck and as Nicecup says.. don't plan to fail!!!