Notices

Liver recovery

Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver recovery

How long does it take for liver to return to normal?

I know everyone is different but are we talking weeks? Months? Years?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really have no idea Finnie.

It really would depend on the individual, and on what the problem was...some things can be reversed, other things can't
Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everyone is different indeed but also the amount of damage is different.

Practically impossible to tell. Your doctor can run some tests if you want a better answer.

But not drinking will not make your liver any worst, now that's a sure thing ;-)
Old 02-19-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you've been sober for a while, why not get liver function tests done at your doctor's. That will give you your answer.

I was a one-to-three bottles of wine a night drinker and after being sober six months or so my liver function tests came back normal. Ask your doctor.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know that the liver regenerates over time but to what extent will depend on the damage already done. Go to the docs and describe your symptoms?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As always it seems, "normal" is a relative term. Even though livers are amazing resilient and can even regenerate, it's not as though we ever return to square one, and can safely drink again.

So in a way there is a universal answer to the question of how long it takes: it takes the rest of our lives.

But that's cool, because once free, who'd want to go back to that anyway, right?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And remember other things besides alcohol can damage liver...you might want to limit or cut out fast food and drink lots of water with lemon. That could speed up the healing! As suggested, a blood test is the best way to find out where you're at.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pretty much what everyone else said. I had a total of about 10 years of hard liquor abuse and tons of it. Sobered up 2 years ago. Liver is back to normal.

However, I have a friend who's brother died of liver failure at only age 30. Everyone's different.

Best to obviously stop drinking. Your doctor can run tests.
I was hospitalized once, liver enzymes were high for a couple days in-patient but went back to normal after alcohol intake was stopped.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was extremely fortunate. I drank alcoholically for about 10 years meaning daily at least 10 beers. The last year or so I was 24/7 and about 4 bottles of wine/day. I was experiencing many symptoms of liver failure. Edema, Ascites, no appetite, nausea, no sleep...basically everything except outright jaundice. Right around 1 month after quitting I had a liver function test among others and it came back spotless and all symptoms dissapeared. As I have posted before, my doctor explained to me a bit about the liver. It's an amazing organ capable of a lot of abuse however one day out of no where if you continue abusing it, it will in fact quit in total without much warning. Hope this helps and all the best.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Forever and ever

My last time out I was consuming whiskey wine and beer and whiskey,my last drink was Monday the 3rd at around 3:45a.m. And it was about a pint of whiskey.
My liver was pressing hard and hurt,then my arms got dry and flaky,my eyes ...bad shape...all signs of ... Hey dumbass, .doctor. Warm lemon water.water.diet.look on line for foods for detoxing the liver.
It took me days for the swelling to calm down(damn those wood chairs in the aa hall)I'm still unnerved and drinking lots of water. Feel better! Thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Can someone explain to me how drinking lemon water can help the liver?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Search warm lemon water detox

Dr oz's complete body restart guide
Old 02-19-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
Can someone explain to me how drinking lemon water can help the liver?
I believe its a natural stimulant in flushing out toxins,even for Hep C patients so I've read.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
How long does it take for liver to return to normal?

I know everyone is different but are we talking weeks? Months? Years?
Thats left for a medical professional and tests. Your liver may never return back to normal. Ever try to make a pickle back to a cucumber?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Deleted
Old 02-20-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I dunno, my doc couldn't even tell me. My liver tests were normal but he could palpate my fatty liver and I had pains every time I drank. I am TERRIFIED to drink again for fear that it's too soon. Toying with sobriety forever...