Notices

Customer Service (ugghh)

Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Customer Service (ugghh)

I work in a law firm. I am supposed to be an experienced, professional paralegal, but because the economy sucks and employers are not hiring and having 1 person do the job of 3, I also possess the title of secretary and receptionist and my desk is in the front of the office so I get the pleasure of greeting and assisting our potential clients. I also speak with them on the phone, schedule appointments, etc. Sometimes I find myself getting so impatient and irritated with people. I will get worked up over why it takes someone 10 minutes to make an appointment over the phone. They will ask me to hold on while they look at their schedule, ponder the best day, call their Mother and ask her opinion etc. etc. ask me a million questions that are answered by the attorney when they come in and all the while I'm thinking..."Are you serious??" I feel like they should be somewhat prepared before they call and know what days and times they are available. Anyway, I had a man like that call me yesterday and when I finally got his appointment made for (today), I think my blood pressure was really elevated. I, like most people, have too much work to do and these long interruptions are really stressful. Anyway, he came into the office just now for his appointment and was rude and demanding. I wont go into details just say that my co-workers agreed and had similar experiences with him on the phone when he called before. Instead of losing my cool, I sort of turned it into a game and spoke to him like he was "special". I raised my voice as if he were hearing impaired and spoke really slowly. Is this bad? It did help me to keep my cool.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's good that you kept your cool with a jerk like that.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

UGH...I totally understand. I work in an insurance firm and we have a whole list of demanding jerks who refuse to make appts and believe you should drop everything for them, RIGHT THAT SECOND.

I always treat them kindly and go on, I have learned that people like that just live their life that way and my being mad about it only hurts myself...not them.

Good for you, I think you handled it well!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I work with customers, too.

This is hilarious, so if you want a good laugh, take a look:

Customer service at a bookstore - YouTube
Old 02-19-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There's a Buddhist saying about annoying people being the best teachers, because we can use our encounters with them to practice patience and compassion. After all, nobody sets out to be a jerk. Usually we're just seeing the result of whatever lead them to this point, be it a tough morning, a tough year, or a tough life.

If that sounds like a goodie-goodie outlook, it's really not. Like hopeful4 said, it's mostly about making myself feel good... and not letting the turkeys drag me down.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I work with customers, too.

This is hilarious, so if you want a good laugh, take a look:

Customer service at a bookstore - YouTube
Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anna, love that site Customer at a Bookstore on You Tube. I see they have many more skits. I will have to check out the ones...."why your waiter hates you...etc." lol. I also worked in restaurant biz when I was younger. Anyway, I also agree with ReadyandAble that it can be a teachable moment dealing with difficult people. I just don't know how often I feel like being taught the same lesson...? It's good to vent and share it with others who know how much fun the public can be. Oh, and my Mother who worked as a receptionist in a psychiatrist office had it the worst...believe me. Here is another option: How about saying.."Sir, or Madame, I am not the one who hurt you, but if you continue on like this, you can add me to your list.." ? No? Too much? (grin)
Old 02-19-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I laughed out loud at your post. I am in the same situation. As well as being a nurse and seeing patients, I work as receptionist, do all the travel bookings, pick people up to take them to the airport, work on call two nights a week and order all the stock. People are as rude as ****. Some days I could hit someone. My latest thing is to yell out " your welcome" to people that don't say thank you. I know it's bad. You have my sympathy.xx
Old 02-19-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Don't talk to me about customer service I lost it with Virgin mobile before Christmas and confessed to my therapist. After I explained the situation, she actually said, "I don't blame you." Ha!!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I answer the phones and schedule appointments and take payments and try to collect overdue accounts. I try really, really, really hard to give the best customer service that I can, because when I need help and I get good customer service, it makes my experience so much better….and I tend to stick with companies that give good customer support.
That said, I have had a couple of experiences with my customers that leave me shaking when finished…..I take a bunch of deep breaths and then, when I am calmer, feel bad for them that they have to go through life so angry.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Many years ago I worked at McDonald's for a while. I had one very rude customer who complained and carried on like I was his whipping boy. My manager came to my defense and wouldn't let him treat me that way. He was with his son, about 8 yrs old. I felt bad for the kid and wondered how he was treated.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I enjoy messing with people so customer service is perfect for me. The weirder the person the better.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have no or very low tolerance for people like that.

You are not bad/wrong for doing that.
The "slow voice" would drive ME mad cause I need everything to be fast fast fast.
I'd of noticed in a heartbeat were I yer customer.

I'd say you're sounding very human!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet. - Indian Proverb

My job is a PITA but I'm thankful that I have a job to bitch about.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The public can suck the life out of you. I say this after being a bartender for a little over a decade.

You have to watch yourself when dealing with the public. You don't want to say or do something that can be a negative impact on your work.

One thing I found is that, the more I remained calm in my demeanor, the more control I had over the situation.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've just asked my bosses to hire someone to be up front while I stay in the back and take care of other things. Since I retired from drinking I'm finding myself getting shorter and shorter with dealing with customers.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I work with a lady who is many pay grades higher than myself and she has a great tactic when people are being rude or talking over her. She just clams up. She won't say a thing; total silence. You'd be surprised at how quickly the offending party shuts up when they don't have someone to shout over. Give it a try sometime.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, I am an account manager and work in health insurance. I am often jealous of my daughter who can pretty much say whatever she wants to her "customers"...she's a cop, LOL.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

LuLu...I work in an insurance firm and my sister is a cop also! Her work stories are ALOT more interesting than mine, but she says my clients smell alot better...ha!! I just wish I could handcuff some of mine and shove them in a cell for a while too...but I guess that won't be allowed...LOL!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

All of that is very true, I wish I could say "it's too bad there is not a ticket for being stupid!"