Notices

It's the beginning, and it's hard.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's the beginning, and it's hard.

Hey guys,

First time poster. I'm truly struggling tonight. I've gone through the process of quitting and failed spectacularly. The last 4 days has been a train wreck and I've been drunk for it all...

I have physical withdrawls right now, it's 2am. Tomorrow I'm faced with an appointment with my Dr to talk about my issue, University and training as a supervisor at a new job. Can I have some advice on how to make it through these tasks positively? It all feels so much at the moment. Any advice would be incredible. I am so fearful right now.

I have the most beautiful girl in my life, a goal and a possible business - but at 25, I struggle with an alcohol addiction. To be scarily honest I have been drinking at least 2 bottles of wine a night, though I had 2 weeks off until my current bender. I feel the community on SR has the power to drive me in a positive direction.

Thank you all for listening.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's always hard in the beginning but will get easier the more sober time you have. You've come to a great site. I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Least. It's so good to hear that. I'm really scared...
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

We do understand how hard this is. It would be a good idea to talk to your dr about your concerns. It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life, so staying sober will be so helpful.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For sure talk to your doctor.. He is only there to help. The beginning sucks it is hard and there isn't a magic pill to get through it. Have you considered AA or connecting with other people to help you?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dislike the AA path because of the religious nature of the program. I can see the incredible value for some people but given my secular opinions, opinions I've had since I was a kid - I am unsure it would help. I have been investigating the "SMART recovery program" as well as something my Mum suggested called "Recovery."

It was so beneficial talking to both my girl and family about my problem. I've kept it to myself forever and it was poisonous to me I think.

I have wanted to be "the guy who doesn't drink" since I started!!!! ... I knew it was a problem for me. I have a bad relationship with alcohol. The fact is, for me, alcohol is not the problem it's the solution.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Congratulations on your decision to change your life....when times are tough remember your health. Quitting is the best thing for your body no matter what your A.V. tells you. It Is so hard sometimes but not all of the time!! Things...everything...gets better.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Minutetherelost View Post
I dislike the AA path because of the religious nature of the program. I can see the incredible value for some people but given my secular opinions, opinions I've had since I was a kid - I am unsure it would help. I have been investigating the "SMART recovery program" as well as something my Mum suggested called "Recovery."

It was so beneficial talking to both my girl and family about my problem. I've kept it to myself forever and it was poisonous to me I think.

I have wanted to be "the guy who doesn't drink" since I started!!!! ... I knew it was a problem for me. I have a bad relationship with alcohol. The fact is, for me, alcohol is not the problem it's the solution.
I am not in AA but please don't discount any recovery method until you've tried it. Some AA groups do base their meetings around a specific faith, but there is no requirement to do so. AA is NOT a religious program in itself. There are even atheist AA groups.

Getting sober is all about what you CAN do, not what you CANT. Consider yourself fortunate for making this decision so early in life, many wait until they have suffered and lost many things dear to them before they try and get sober. You can and WILL do this if you truly want to - and SR is a great place to find out how and get support. Welcome aboard!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you. I am so happy to hear from people on the same path. I think all of us have seen the worst in ourselves. It's brilliant to see, to read that I'm not a horrible person though. I just have a silly problem and the solution is that I don't drink alcohol.

From tomorrow I hope to have a plan to be on a better path. Both through the support of drug and alcohol counsellors, plus a psychologist on a mental health care plan.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. If I can quite booze anyone can xxxxx
Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Minute. It sounds like you have a LOT of things to look forward to! I think you should be really proud of yourself for talking honestly with your partner and family. It sounds like you have a lot of support around you. That's AWESOME! It's also great to hear that you've set up an appointment with your physician to discuss this issue. All around, I think you're taking some really positive steps toward a bright future.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other. Just check things off the list- one thing at a time. I know how scary it is. Sometimes looking at the big picture can be overwhelming. It's helpful to break things down into manageable steps. You have so much support around you and people who really care. :-)

You can do this!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There is a secular section on this forum, have a look and see if you like the of them.

I liked the RR and AVRT, also check out if their are any SMART meetings around you if you feel you would like to have F2F contact with people
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The withdrawls are really bad today. Like really bad. Struggling in the worst way possible
Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Minutetherelost, welcome, i wish I had your sense in my twentys, it took another thirty years of getting progressively worse before I gave up.

The withdrawals can be difficult at first if they get too bad your doctor can help you with it. I have just kept coming here venting my frustrations, anxieties, feelings etc and got a world of wealth from people here at SR.

We all get help for our addiction in different ways and there is a lot of help.

I second what Kate says, if I can do it, anyone can. All the best on your journey, don't go it alone, we are here to help each other.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been there Minute. I am in my late 30's now, but my drinking started becoming a problem when I was your age. I had a great job at the time, but I never addressed my drinking until it was too late to salvage that career. Do something now about the alcohol before you end up throwing opportunities away like I did.

Fight through the withdrawals as they are temporary. I was at a point where I would have to sneak off to a pub at lunch for a couple pints because my hands were shaking so bad at the office. I wish I could turn back time to when I was 25 and do things differently.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm no good on Time Zones - have you seen the Dr yet minutetherelost?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Minutetherelost View Post
The withdrawls are really bad today. Like really bad. Struggling in the worst way possible
They really do get better and they don't last forever even though it seems like they will.

Please hang in there you can do it!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I went to the Dr but he only prescribed me atenol for high blood pressure and referred me to a fe support groups. No acute relief. Might go to a clinic, though a little embarrassed about that.

Wasting life - thank you or your story. It's nice to think it's not too late for me ) I have too much goodness in my life
Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is jus one big headache. Trying to figure out what happened to my life. People in AA say I have a good shot at succeeding. In a ton of pain right now trying to figure it out.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Glad you got to the doctor!

The start is hard bc you don't feel well (understatement!). The hardest thing (and most surprising for me really I guess) was how the real battle wasn't 'not drinking' but living sober. They might sound like the same thing but they're not.

For me anyway it was about learning how to relax, bond, have confidence enough to crack a joke, blow off steam after a tense day, vacation. God I could go on and on. I felt like an ALIEN. I was an alcoholic since I was a teenager. I fell in love, got married, had 2 of my 3 children...all as an alcoholic. I was utterly clueless.

But you know...I did it. And all those sober firsts. ..man they were so sweet!!! Sometimes painful but just the depth of experience that is sober vs drunk living...there is just no comparison.

You couldn't pay more enough to go back to that dull, monochromatic experience.

I used rational recovery a bit and a LOT of SR as I healed.

Good luck. It's a trip in every sense of the word ;-)