Notices

Sobriety dreams & nightmares

Old 02-16-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety dreams & nightmares

Today I took a nap. I had a dream that I slipped and it actually scared me. It really scared me to think that my sobriety date changed (again). This must mean I really want to stay sober... not only my conscious self, but my subconscious self as well.

I've had several slips throughout my journey in sobriety. Sometimes I didn't just slip - I jumped off the wagon! But after each time I felt regret and shame. Thankfully I'd get up, dust myself off, and march forward. Now, I've had dreams where I lost my sobriety before, but today it actually scared me! Nothing horrible happened in my dream, like death or jail - just the idea that my sobriety was lost scared me. I think this means that I really do want to stay sober, and reading the Big Book and making meetings, and working the 12 Steps is exactly what I'm supposed to be doing at this point in my life.

Today is the day we walk toward our destiny... 24 hours at a time!!!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudging the Road

I've had similar dreams. Very convincing ones where I thought I had gone back out there. Yep, scary. Imagine the relief, knowing it was just a dream!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have those dreams quite often. Especially with the people who I felt I hurt the most by my drinking. I dream that I am still drunk around them and they are sitting in a room across from me shaking their heads in disapproval. I wake up and thank god it didn't happen.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yep.... those dreams are terribly unsettling.

Let's take them as signs of our true desire to remain in sobriety.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never had one that bothered me this much before. I guess my subconscious is telling me that deep down my sobriety is more important than I could consciously conceive.