Notices

Newbie in need of some help

Old 02-16-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie in need of some help

My 20 year old son currently went through the detox program in queens, ny. We live in commack, ny. There was a plan and some goals but none are being followed through. I've figured out that I am an enabler and am not helping him at all. He even states that he came out too early but is either resistant to or nervous about more help. I know living with me in the house where he used is not working out very well.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kathy

you'll find a lot of support advice and understanding from other parents who've been in the same situation, both here and in our Family and Friends Forums

Have you considered AlAnon or NarAnon for some real life support?

D
Old 02-16-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Besides support for yourself, is there anyplace else he can live? A halfway house or something? His being in your house seems to be bad for both of you. Perhaps he'd do better somewhere else.

I'm glad you found us. There's a lot of support here and also in our friends and family forums.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Kathyom. It's great to have you join us.

I'm sorry for what you're going through with your son. I hope it'll help to be here where others have been through the same thing.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry for what you are going through. I don't have any advice but I am sure that someone on this site will. All the best.xxx
Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome!
And yes, I am looking into halfway houses but he's 20 and has to be willing. It just breaks my heart because he is such a great person but he's been brought down to lying like it's nothing so if he is telling the truth, I couldn't tell, I've believed him all along and was so wrong. I did find one sober living house in the town he wants to be in hoping that will get the ball rolling. I'm just lost, floundering like a fish here.....