Notices

Time To Stop Proving.....

Old 02-16-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Time To Stop Proving.....

Hi all, my name is Bruce and I'm an alcoholic! I'm getting up there in years, but a newcomer to sobriety. I spend a lot of my spare time on SR, reading the signature lines and threads because I know I'll find things that will help me in my daily struggle. I have the utmost admiration for the young people who join, to realize the problems they have and are looking for help and support, I wish I would have done the same 40 years ago!

Lots are wondering if they have a problem at all - just think of why you looked for a forum like this and you'll have your answer!

Many think that after a day, a week, a month, even more that they are cured, cured of what? Making yourself look stupid when you're drunk? Hurting your family and loved ones? Spending all the time and money to get drunk only to have the feelings of shame and anxiety the next day?

I'm going to bet that many of us have slipped or had a relapse, I slipped after my first 49 days of sobriety, trying to prove that I could have just one! I couldn't, and the very next day, I started my journey again. The thing about sobriety that scares me most is not that I might slip again, it's that I can never again enjoy a sociable drink for the rest of my life. I lost that privilege!

So, no matter who you are, age, sex, race, or religion, you are reading this rambling post of mine for a reason. And the younger you are, be happy for all those years ahead of you being healthy and happy, and how many people you'll be able to help with your story and experience!

So, the next time you think you're cured, just ask yourself, what am I going to prove and to who by having that first drink? Why not just be happy that you can enjoy life and everything it has to offer as a non-drinker! Or go ahead and waste a bunch of years of your life like I did......

I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday, get through it sober, and look forward to another 24!

Old 02-16-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I relapsed six years ago after being sober twenty years. After drinking away two years I finally got back into sobriety and am glad I did. I don't know why I fooled myself into drinking again but it won't happen again.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abcowboy View Post
I wish I would have done the same 40 years ago!
Same here. I drank heavily for 34 years and I am rediscovering life at age 55. Congrats on your not drinking, enjoy the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery