SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   No desire yet today, but its early (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/323051-no-desire-yet-today-but-its-early.html)

gvrecovery 02-16-2014 07:29 AM

No desire yet today, but its early

Hi everyone, feel more confident today that the drinking switch has been turned off, for now anyway. You'd think these awful consequences would be enough to make you stop, but as we all know too well it makes little difference.

LonelyShadow 02-16-2014 07:38 AM

I know what you mean, right now, today, there is absolutely no way I would take a drink, it's just unthinkable to me, but I worry about thirty days down the road, or if something happens that threatens my sobriety. I think that's why the 'focus on each day' approach works well. What awful consequences are you referring? Hope you're okay!

Birdygirl 02-16-2014 09:01 AM

I feel your pain. It's noon where I live and I have already been thinking about how I hope my best gf dos not call... We always end up drinking.

matt4x4 02-16-2014 09:09 AM

The drinking switch never turns off, there is no cure for this disease. The switch never goes away. All we have is a daily reprieve, based on our spiritual fitness. Good Luck.

doggonecarl 02-16-2014 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by gvrecovery (Post 4474453)
Hi everyone, feel more confident today that the drinking switch has been turned off, for now anyway.

Good. Now, in the lull before the next obsession to drink, think of the ways you are going to deal with the idea that you can drink. Because the switch is easily turned back on.

bigsombrero 02-16-2014 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 4474679)
Good. Now, in the lull before the next obsession to drink, think of the ways you are going to deal with the idea that you can drink. Because the switch is easily turned back on.

Agreed. Metaphorically, it won't always be a sunny day. But you can use this time to start building a roof so that you have something when it rains. Congratulations on feeling better, and keep doing what you can each day to stay sober.

SeaScape 02-16-2014 11:12 AM

Good to hear! I hope you have a great day. I have a few small note cards that I keep around - one in my wallet, one by my bed, etc that have some quick reminders on them that help me make the best decision for me - which is not to drink.
They say things like:
Do you like waking up at 3am and having a complete anxiety attack in your bed?
Do you like nausea - like as a way of life?
Is excessive perspiration attractive or healthy?
are rosacea and bloating trendy these days?

I know that it's cheesy but I have realized I can't hold on to a healthy perspective all of the time. I also feel that I need to be armed because alcohol has really screwed up my head!

least 02-16-2014 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by matt4x4 (Post 4474603)
The drinking switch never turns off, there is no cure for this disease. The switch never goes away. All we have is a daily reprieve, based on our spiritual fitness. Good Luck.

Not everyone depends on spirituality to stay sober. I certainly don't.

KateL 02-16-2014 11:36 AM

You can do it xxxx