Notices

I hate my life

Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I like your screen name. A lot. I wish you well.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was afraid of what life would be like without booze in it, too. Turns out it's pretty good. Much better now than when I was drinking.

You should just give it a trial run of a month or two and see how you like it. Unless you are happy with your drinking life.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
thank you guys, especially Hevyn, Readyandable and Dee. Your words struck me.Mu anxiety is through the roof--either I'm drinking or I'm worried about it and always I'm anxious.

I've spent yrs convincing myself I don't have a problem, but of course I do or I wouldn't feel this way.

I've made an appointment already w a counselor and will work out the rest of the plan with him. I don;t really drink that much but I know its too much for me cause it's ruining the rest of my life. All I do is stay home have some drinks and that's about it. All the old stuff I used to do is gone.

Time to change, for good.
Sam, good for you for making a start. You speak to feelings all of us have had, I think. I just keep in mind that with drinking I can have the same experience a 1000 times, or in sobriety I can have a 1000 different experiences. It takes some doing to stay sober but I am being rewarded with new and wonderful experiences every day.

Hang in there.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi samwitch, I agree life is difficult being sober, it gets easier there are more good days than bad days but it's so much better than when I was drinking.

It is worth fighting for, your life back, it's a worthy cause.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I got to a point that I was more scared of the repercussions of drinking vs those of not drinking. When all the consequences of drinking became too painful to bear, the price for the fleeting high just got ridiculous...is when I was finally able to do what I knew needed to be done for a long time. And I stopped.

I was scared of never having "fun" again. I'm finding that was a totally irrational fear. Today is day 36' and SO MANY THINGS are better now, and continue to improve. I don't hate myself anymore. I just wish I'd been able to do this sooner.

You can do this too. You do know what to do.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Except for many trips to the liquor store; all I did was stay home and drink. I only dealt with life when I had to. Once sober, I got out more often. This lead to dealing with life again, the good and the bad, but it was much better than getting bombed every day. Having a conversation with someone, and not feeling like a nervous wreck was great. Having a clear mind at work was fantastic. Just going to a movie felt like a gift. Having a good workout at the gym was a blessing. Some people say to wait for the miracle to happen, but I find each day sober a miracle. Like President Roosevelt said, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself". So true. Alcohol is like having a boyfriend or girlfriend. When the relationship ends, you are scared because you don't
know what the future has in store for you. But life did go on. It takes a lot of courage and determination to quit alcohol. But it's like any bad relationship, you know you are better off without it. Kick alcohol to the curb, and your life will be better for it!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I probably should have titled this "I hate my drinking life" but I wrote it while drinking. So, it's kinda good because it stands as a wake up call of sorts: I do hate my life when I'm drinking(even contemplated ending things a few times) but I sober up and look around and think, "okay...not so bad..."

So, therein is the lesson, right?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Samwitch.

Sorry, I'll be quick - it's late at my part of the world, and I am literally falling asleep)

You know, I hate my life sometimes too. Pretty often, to be honest.

I still feel anxiety, still sometimes have no wish to get out of bed and face the morning.

But it's still billion times better when drinking.

Keep posting. Believe in yourself. Keep up faith.

Best wishes to you.