Notices

Problem?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

If we could cut down there'd be no problem JD - maybe you need a Dr a little more versed in addiction?

I think you need to work out your options - seeing a new Dr, looking for some counselling, support groups like A or some other alternative, inpatient or outpatient rehab - something needs to change, JD.

Nothing changes if nothing changes - y'know?

D
Old 02-22-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

i understand, another friend who works for Mind charity said AA is for people who are really bad with addiction so i shouldnt go to that, i feel confused everyone is saying different things.

If im honest im not sure i could stop, im going for drinks next week and thought about not drinking but i cant imagine it at all, with friends and sober, i couldbt relax.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

another friend who works for Mind charity said AA is for people who are really bad with addiction so i shouldnt go to that,

That is completely false. AA is for anyone with a desire to stop drinking. If you want to stop drinking you qualify for AA.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
That is completely false. AA is for anyone with a desire to stop drinking. If you want to stop drinking you qualify for AA.
Ok thanksyou x
Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Personally, JD, I'd get a second opinion from a doctor with knowledge in addiction, and still keep that appointment with the rehab guy. You did mention earlier that some of your friends are concerned about your drinking. When it comes to drinking; who knows you best, your friends or your doctor? I'm not saying you should keep looking for someone to tell you you are an alcoholic, just keep an open mind. Besides, if drinking is not a problem, than why not just stop and see how things go. It shouldn't be a problem if you are not an alcoholic.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

For me JD, after a while, it didn't matter what anybody else thought. I'm the one who has to get out of bed and deal with me and my life. If someone I knew told me that I am not an alcoholic and should be able to just cut down, I could run with that idea and go for it, or be honest with myself and realize I know me better than anybody else, and know what's best for me.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I relapsed a few years ago after 13 years of sobriety through AA. At first when I relapsed my life actually got better and controlling my drinking was not an issue. However in the last six months i have been drinking more, isolating and feeling like my world has become small again. I am thinking about returning to AA but there is quite a bit about the 12 step program that irks me, I am not a believer in handing my will and my life over to God, while all the other steps may make sense.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Pearce

If AA is not your thing, have you looked into other approaches at all?

D
Old 02-22-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi Dee74

No I haven't I would not know where to start. I have been referred to a psychologist by my doctor but I have not gone yet.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

SMART is another meeting based but non 12 step alternative - not sure how widespread they are in Victoria tho.

SMART Recovery Australia |

If you want more feedback it's probably best to start your own thread
D