Notices

I get by with a little help from my friends

Old 02-15-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I get by with a little help from my friends

Not too long ago I posted a thread wondering how the whole "friends" thing works here at SR. I was desperate for sobriety to stick and ready to put all the tools SR has at my disposal in place to work for me. I was shocked when most of the responses were from people who didn't really know how that particular aspect of this site works.

I started to build my friendship nest anyway, not really sure how I was going to use it. I'll never forget the first PM I received. It was from a fellow mom and fellow Texan reaching out just to say "hello." She wanted to let me know that she appreciated my shares and could relate to my new-found attempt at sobriety. We bonded over motherhood and how we want to make our lives better for our children with our sobriety. Soon we began checking in on each other with a fair amount of regularity. I love my friend and am thankful for her interest in me, my life and my recovery.

Because of her example I reached out to others. I had a really cool exchange with someone that had absolutely nothing to do with sobriety but instead about music. It was refreshing to find a common ground other than the glaring one that brought us both here.

Then I heard from my 70's music soul mate - my sister from another mister. This one is a peach, let me tell you. She checks on me darn near every day. She compliments me, makes me smile, makes me laugh and most importantly she fills my life with kick-butt tunes.

Today I was triggered. I was away from home treating myself to a pedicure. It just so happened that this particular day at the salon was wine day. Believe me when I tell you that a lot of the women in that place were having a little pedicure with their wine, not the other way around. I started to hear my AV calling me. It was small at first but I could feel it was getting stronger and closer. Soon I wanted a glass of wine. I needed a glass of wine.

Instead of trying to white knuckle the craving, I logged on to SR to see who else was on. My peach was - thank you universe! I reached out, shared my secret and asked for help. She was there, she responded quickly and walked me thru it. Then she celebrated with me when the trigger/desire passed (mostly thanks to her words). I don't mean to sound melodramatic, but this afternoon she saved me.

I tell you all this to let you know that there are some absolutely amazing people here. If you haven't started to build your friend tool box yet I encourage you to start tonight. Find someone whose shares or experience or suggestions or sobriety time you respect. Reach out to them. Let them know you're here and that you need a friend. I promise you it will make a difference in your recovery. It did & does for mine. Every. Single. Day.

I said on another thread that there is power in numbers. I believe it & experienced it tonight.

Thank you, friends.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Not sure where you are down there but, I'd of been having spring fever if you were int the 60's and 70's like my friend from Texas said she was having today
Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That was a lovely post Hearts! I was so relieved to find SR. I knew I'd never have to be alone again. It meant everything to me - and I found the courage to change. Glad you are here with us.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Not sure where you are down there but, I'd of been having spring fever if you were int the 60's and 70's like my friend from Texas said she was having today
Yep, Cap'n. It's beginning to look a lot like flip flop weather around here. Hence, my pedicure appointment.

We're not out of the woods yet. In fact it snowed earlier this week. We'll have 60's & 70's for a few days but the weather here changes in an instant. Only time you can count on it is during the summer when I liken the temps to what I can only describe & imagine as the gates of hell.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Making new friends is a wonderful experience. Together we are stronger.