Notices

Hello to all, I'm hoping for find comfort here

Old 02-15-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello to all, I'm hoping for find comfort here

I'm the mother of a 17 year old recovering drug addict. It was a five year road to get her clean. Started when she was 12. We progressed from pot at 12, to pills of all sorts, to heroin by 16 and meth at 17.

Although she's clean now (almost eight months clean) the effects on the entire family are permanent and harsh.

I'm sure there are many similar stories. Or, at least that's what I'm hoping to find... that I'm not alone in this. And I say that while not wishing this experience on anyone.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. I have an 8 year old daughter and it is terrifying to think what it must have been like for you with your daughter. This is a great, supportive place.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTry2BNice View Post
I'm the mother of a 17 year old recovering drug addict. It was a five year road to get her clean. Started when she was 12. We progressed from pot at 12, to pills of all sorts, to heroin by 16 and meth at 17.

Although she's clean now (almost eight months clean) the effects on the entire family are permanent and harsh.

I'm sure there are many similar stories. Or, at least that's what I'm hoping to find... that I'm not alone in this. And I say that while not wishing this experience on anyone.
By the Grace of God, I cannot relate from experience but, as a mother, my heart simply breaks for you and your daughter. You have come to a good place; I am sure that you will hear from someone who will know only too well where you have been and are. In the meantime, addiction is addiction - no matter the poison of choice. All of us on this site are substance abusers of one kind or another with varying degrees or another of addiction and WE have been the source of pain to our families; very often that pain is what us led us here to SR.

We are here for you.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's a hard road to travel... and an impossibly painful road to watch someone you love go down. I believe my daughter had her highs to get her though. I watched it happen through sober eyes. But, we both survived... so it could be a lot worse.

Her addiction landed her in the hospital once and me twice. I was a bundle of raw nerves.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTry2BNice View Post
It's a hard road to travel... and an impossibly painful road to watch someone you love go down. I believe my daughter had her highs to get her though. I watched it happen through sober eyes. But, we both survived... so it could be a lot worse.

Her addiction landed her in the hospital once and me twice. I was a bundle of raw nerves.
I cannot begin to imagine what you experienced; it is a terrifying thought. Do you have a face-to-face support system?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi JustTry. Welcome. I am sorry you have been through what must have been a nightmare. I hope you and your daughter will continue to recover and, eventually, thrive.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have no experience but my heart breaks for you. Prayers.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I cannot begin to imagine what you experienced; it is a terrifying thought. Do you have a face-to-face support system?
Yes. I see a therapist weekly and so does she (same therapist) and then we see her together bi-weekly. This therapist has been involved in my daughters treatment from the beginning so she is very familiar with all of it and we are comfortable with her.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You may also be interested in our friends and family forum. You've been thru a lot and I'm glad you're both getting counseling.