Notices

antabuse ?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

antabuse ?

i took antabuse 3 days ago, first and last time,only 2 pills. not comfortable with taking it, will try something else. i would like to have a drink. would it be out of my system now?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've never taken it, I would recommend checking with the doctor that prescribed it.

I'd also ask why you want to drink so soon after taking antabuse - it's generally prescribed for those who wish to stop drinking. Is that what you are trying to do?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by trin123 View Post
...not comfortable with taking it, will try something else.
You mean you aren't comfortable with being sober, huh?

Maybe you better check with the doctor who prescribed it to you. Our telling you to drink or not drink on antabuse borders on medical advice, which we aren't allowed to give.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i wanted to just cute back cravings but he gave me that.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would check with him them. We cannot give medical advice here.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you want to have A drink? Or do you want to have like 20? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just know when I say I would really like a drink...I mean a heck of a lot more than one.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Well, if you decide you want to use recovery cut back on your cravings, Sober Recovery is one of the ways to do that.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would NOT drink! I am not a dr but I've heard you have to wait up to 2 weeks AFTER you stop taking it. It could make you violently ill. I wouldn't chance it. Talk to your dr.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I took antabuse sever years ago. DON'YT DRINK ON IT! I did and felt my heart beating rapidly, and I began sweating a lot. I actually saw my chest going up and down from my heart beating. I thought I was going to die.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Brits advice seems sound, trin

Disulfiram: MedlinePlus Drug Information

what are your recovery plans?
D
Old 02-14-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had naltrexone prescribed for the cravings. It didn't do a thing for me, but it works for a lot of people and doesn't make you violently ill if you do slip up, though. I'd prefer antabuse because for me, it would take the whole question of whether I was going to drink completely off the table. can't find a doctor to prescribe it, though.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My label for 500mg when I took it twice in the first week suggested 14 days in my system. I am not sure if you have ever tried to drink on it but I have. The side effects are vomiting, nausea, stomach cramps, blindness, elevated heart rates and possible stroke and hear attack. I wanted to find out if it was real or simply a placebo - it is real and works!

This is not something you should mess with and I recommend you consult your physician.

I think you may want to think long and hard about you situation. I mean wanting to drink three days after taking and just asking is sort of confirming your problem - when posed with a heart attach, stroke and blindness and non alcoholic would not question abstinence.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been taking Antabuse and am having success with it. That said, the first few days were VERY frustrating because I wanted to continue my old happy hour/barhopping habit but knew I couldn't. But that frustration faded after just a few days and I developed a new habit of going to the gym or for a walk during that time of day, and that's my new reality/habit. It took several days to even begin to break my cycle.

I did drink a few sips on the first day and immediately turned beet red. That was actually a good experience, because I got a sense of what would happen if I didn't take this seriously! Anyway, I think you should definitely talk with your doctor more about your concerns with alcohol. If s/he prescribed Antabuse, he's probably concerned with assisting you in finding the best way to address your drinking. There are other drugs that work differently, as other commenters have noted, and there are many combinations of therapy or groups -- including this forum -- to support you.

I'm not giving medical advice, but if my blood pressure shot up like that (and I'm only taking a half-dose), I don't think you want to test out what would happen!