Notices

The Choice of Addiction & Abuse

Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Choice of Addiction & Abuse

I've been thinking about how much control each of us really has over our drinking...It occured to me that I don't have any chemical dependency on alcohol or drugs (any more), so if I've decided to quit and then drink or use, isn't that a decision made by me? It might be a bad decision based on emotion or lack of forethought, but isn't it a decision all the same? People use drink and drugs to mask some other problem, but isn't that still a choice even if it's a choice made from desperation? If you're no longer chemically dependent on something is it really an addiction? Is it not just a choice to feel good instead of bad despite the consequences to you and others? And if so, doesn't that just make you a selfish ******* who can't do the right thing? I include myself in that, it's not aimed at anyone in particular.

I believe there is more choice in addiction/habit/dependency than some would care to admit.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I believe that personal choice still plays a part in staying sober. Even if you go to 3 meetings a day and spend several hours working steps, etc... there are still always going to be times when you are face to face with alcohol, or the thoughts of alcohol. You use what you learn via whatever recovery method you choose, but at the end of the day when you are tempted the decision is yours and yours alone as to whether or not you pick up that drink.

I am not suggesting that recovery programs do not work, far from it...but along with any program comes personal responsibility and choices.

I don't believe that I have a choice in the fact that I am an alcoholic though....i wish I did!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

This is very much like the powerlessness/power of choice debates that don't seem to ever get resolved. So I'd rather ask you a question, James.

How is this new found knowledge going to keep you sober?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Believing I have some choice in whether or not I pick up again helps me stay sober. When I was trying to quit before I was dumbfounded as to why I kept picking up, now I feel like I have enough tools and knowledge to well, know better. But for others believing they are powerless over their addiction kicks them up the behind to keep up their recovery program. That is no difference to the knowledge that I have about myself that if I don't participate in some sort of recovery activity then I tend to slip back into addictive behaviours. I have spent a lot more time drunk than sober and it's a tough habit to break. If I relapsed however I reckon I would very quickly be back in active addiction. It is all about what motivates you and keeps you sober. Whatever helps you is the right answer x
Old 02-14-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Choice definitely plays a part in staying sober. I can chose to drink or chose not to.

Even though I am not drinking now, if I was to go back I would be dependant on it again. I'm pretty sure I would start where I left off. After the very first sip, I know I wouldn't stop.

I still do think about drinking even now and I have been sober for 18 months. However, I don't think in terms of just having one drink. It is in terms of bottles. Did I chose to become an alcoholic? Nope, I sure didn't, but I do take responsibility for it because my choices did bring me to this point.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't worry what others thought James.
I just stopped drinking

D
Old 02-14-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel that once I had my first drink I opened Pandora's box and it was just a matter of time until my drinking went beyond my control. It is my choice not to drink, that's the only was I can control it, but I can't close that box and those demons I let out are there waiting for me to slip, and will be . So yes, it is a choice not to drink, just not so simple.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

How is this new found knowledge going to keep you sober?
I've always found a reason WHY I drank, that it was because of this bad/good thing or because of him/her - whatever. I've missed the point that things that affect me don't make me drink, I do that. That is my response to things because it's the easy way out. I decided to pick up the drink because it was easier. I don't want or need to do that any more. All that is now is learned behaviour that I can unlearn or learn something new to replace it.