Notices

Just ate a brownie with alcohol in it

Old 02-15-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
At the places I've worked, anyone who brought in ANYTHING that contained alcohol would have been fired. Zero tolerance. I am surprised how often people have brought up situations like this where booze shows up at work at a party, in a baked good etc. With liability issues such a concern, and the clearly stated rules at my places of employment, I guess I thought all businesses were as strict. I would have thought that goodies at work were the last place I'd run into booze...so the brownie would have shocked the heck out of me too!
At my office they serve alcohol at quarterly meetings. Hand out beer and wine. Then ask people who aren't drinking why not.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

IMHO it's not impossible to avoid alcohol but it can be very, very hard.
Several times throughout the last 7 years I have poured alcohol away, given it away, used it in cooking etc but the last time I drank alcohol I had alcohol in the house, I still do now (there's a very special bottle of champagne for a start!) My husband kept an unopened bottle of Bacardi for 4 years in a place he watched it gathering dust until I persuaded him it was better off with a new home (didn't trust myself with it then!)
I've reached a point where other people drinking alcohol (without problems) is acceptable to me and I am no longer bothered by advertisements or the booze aisle at the supermarket, kinda like alcohol is as relevant to my life as baby products are... i dont think about buying booze any more than i think of buying pampers.
I will occasionally eat foods containing it so I kinda get this from lots of angles but don't go out of my way to hunt it down, my personal opinion is that it's all down to the chef, if you've got a good chef you shouldn't taste the alcohol but its a bit like serving a vegetarian potatoes cooked in animal fat if u see what I mean?
Congratulations on your sobriety OP
Another interesting debate