Notices

Just ate a brownie with alcohol in it

Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I cannot imagine how alcohol would improve the taste of brownies. Good grief!

I thought the same thing; gross.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
With today being Valentine's Day, there has been no shortage of snacks around the office. I was making my rounds and sampling all the treats and came across some brownies. I took a huge bite and realized there was a lot of alcohol in them that had clearly not been even partially cooked down.

I didn't think to be on the lookout for such a thing being I am at work. The taste of it in my mouth just brought back a rush of bad memories. I'm sure whoever brought them in didn't think to make some type of note about there being alcohol in it since most people wouldn't think twice about something like that. for me, it definitely made me very uncomfortable. I left the brownies behind and quickly poured myself a cup of coffee and moved on. After over three months sober, I'm not about to get derailed by a brownie!
Good heavens; there are roadblocks everywhere.!!!! Glad you are okay.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I've been fed pot brownies. The person thought it was funny not telling me. They masked the flavor by using heavy spices like nutmeg.
Sick sense of humor - huh. Was it a friend who did this to you?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture
15 minutes 40%
30 minutes 35%
1 hour 25%
1.5 hours 20%
2 hours 10%
2.5 hours 5%
This doesn't even make sense. If after 15 minutes you have 40% of the original left, after 15 more minutes (or 30 minutes from start) you'd have 40% of 40% which would be 16% not 35%. And after an hour you'd be at 2.56%.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
We have to become the experts. We have to abstain 100% from ALCOHOL. Alcohol never cooks off, it actually concentrates. Accidents can and do happen. That is why getting a HP is critical, its what the Big Book is about. Because when we are close to Him, he keeps us safe. Look at it this way, its a God Shot. To keep you on your toes. Perhaps God is saying you are slacking on the God stuff, maybe its time to redouble your efforts on this thing called sobriety.
Lots of people don't do the God stuff. x
Old 02-14-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Booze Brownies, gross. Sounds like you're fine, Zelda. Good job. I agree that intent is important. You had not intent. It was a mistake. You did not continue to eat it/them-I say you're good. Still, gross. Sorry.

So,if they had booze in them could you put them in a pile in the parking lot and light them on fire?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
This doesn't even make sense. If after 15 minutes you have 40% of the original left, after 15 more minutes (or 30 minutes from start) you'd have 40% of 40% which would be 16% not 35%. And after an hour you'd be at 2.56%.
food science - Cooking away alcohol - Seasoned Advice

It doesn't cook away at a consistent rate. It depends on the surface tension and amount of heat.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You guys never heard of chocolate desserts using alcohol as an ingredient? I'm a little shocked to hear this but I guess some of you aren't food connoisseurs or food network addicts like me.

I don't think accidentally taking a bite out of a dessert dish or dinner that contains traces of alcohol is considered messing up or relapsing.

I had this dinner(intentionally I might add)last weekend at a restaurant that was a tender beef stew with a sauce that used red wine flavored into it. I wondered if I was "allowed" to have it since it might contain slight traces of alcohol but the wine is there as part of the recipe and you don't taste any alcohol you just taste the subtle flavor from the red wine.

I think there are some pasta and other italian dishes that use white wine in their sauces.

I could understand if the alcohol was very present in a dish and you could actually taste it(which means whoever cooked it either screwed up or intentionally wanted to make it boozy) Most of the time the alcohol is burned off as I'm sure you know.

Each alcoholic is different of course and if recipes that include a wine, brandy sauce are too much of a trigger then of course avoid them. The dinner I had at the restaurant was very delicious and posed no threat to my sobriety.

As for the poster that said the alcohol isn't burned off and it's more concentrated.... no offense maybe take a culinary class or ask a chef to educate you on cooking? I assure you that when they cook with wine they burn off the alcohol.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Oh tons of desserts use booze. I worked a a beer bar that used beer in everything (Blueberry beer pancakes for example, or even Fat Tire ketchup). It not a common thing for a brownie, and it's even rarer for it to still taste boozy.

I think alcohol burns off at 78 degrees (via Servesafe). But I was use to a gas stove, it goes away pretty fast.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by malcolmsloan View Post
So,if they had booze in them could you put them in a pile in the parking lot and light them on fire?
Since I posted this morning we have gotten about 3-4 inches of snow. I could use buring those things as a way to melt the nice buildup around my car, ha!

I think the idea on the brownies was to use the liquor as a subtle addition and to most that's probably what it was. To me, being super sensitive to anything alcohol now, I picked up on it strong. Same thing happens when someone uses hand sanitizer. I can smell it a mile away.

As for cooking with alcohol, all this debate over how much cooks off, at what temps, times, etc. is why I avoid it in all food period. Shame too because it ruined my choice chili recipe!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
We have to become the experts. We have to abstain 100% from ALCOHOL. Alcohol never cooks off, it actually concentrates. Accidents can and do happen. That is why getting a HP is critical, its what the Big Book is about. Because when we are close to Him, he keeps us safe. Look at it this way, its a God Shot. To keep you on your toes. Perhaps God is saying you are slacking on the God stuff, maybe its time to redouble your efforts on this thing called sobriety.
Matt again these are your opinions. As a fellow of AA it is disappointing to read your comments outside the 12 step forum that come across so obtuse and myopic.

Secondly, you spout these opinion that are just factually incorrect and potentially damaging to newcomers. Next time spend the extra 30 seconds and do a simply Google search. Geesh!

A study by a team of researchers at the University of Idaho, Washington State University, and the US Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods.[1] The results are as follows:
alcohol added to boiling liquid and removed from heat: 85% alcohol retained
alcohol flamed: 75% alcohol retained
no heat, stored overnight: 70% alcohol retained
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture: 45% alcohol retained
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture: (see table)
Time (h) Alcohol retained[2]
0.2576 40.0345%
0.5678 35.0453%
1.0678 25.0453%
1.579 20.0564%
2.045 10.0076%
2.55467 5.0000%
Old 02-14-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Zelda - I am glad to see yo took it in stride. In my opinion, it is so much about the intention. If after knowing it had alcohol you went back and devoured more then there would be a problem. I am glad you seem to understand this and sorry you experienced it but it sounds like it has made you stronger.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

ya know....even In the midst of my worst active drinking did I ever EVER understand why people or even chefs put booze in food. They're like "it cooks out"...ok, um....so why put it in??? I could NEVER even drink a beer while eating dinner....drinking alcohol WITH food ...to me...was always gross as hell....blagh......and why would someone saturate brownies with booze to take to WORK???!!?? What a moron....tell the boss to give them a breathalyzer on Monday....that coworker of yours sounds like a drunk...lol....
Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

"Heres some brownies Ive brought in....and a punch bowl of scotch....fer dippin'..."
Old 02-14-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ErikT View Post
"Heres some brownies Ive brought in....and a punch bowl of scotch....fer dippin'..."
Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I mean imagine being drunk....simply because you had dessert
Old 02-14-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I can't imagine ever wasting alcohol by mixing it into food. I always just wanted to drink the darn stuff.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ErikT View Post
Haha! We had someone bring in a rum cake awhile back that literally could have just been sitting in a punch bowl of booze. Lots of drinkers around me at work it seems.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I cooked with red wine today in a slow cooked sauce. There was no way there was any alcohol left in that after nearly two hours. It only had a third of a glass in the whole pan.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by James18 View Post
I cooked with red wine today in a slow cooked sauce. There was no way there was any alcohol left in that after nearly two hours. It only had a third of a glass in the whole pan.
But then why put the wine in to begin with?????