Notices

Doing better so far

Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Doing better so far

So the other day I posted that I was starting my day one again after starting day one every day since around Thanksgiving when pretty much everything in my world fell apart. Was amazed to make it to day 2 and 3, and now I'm finishing up day 4! After driving 1.5 hours in a terrific snowstorm, getting stuck in the road into my parking lot and having to take my dog out in the blinding snowstorm TWICE, I really would have appreciated a nice glass of wine (or 10-12) to warm up and relax. Believe it or not, this time I don't have very strong cravings. My daughter gave me some special tea that helps sleep, and I'm drinking that instead. 4 days without wine has saved me at least 20 dollars so far, also. (I like cheap wine!!) Now I can go get that labwork I've been putting off because I haven't been able to go the whole 24 hours without alcohol it requires. Not out of the woods yet, but better than I have done in months.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great! Keep at it! xoxo
Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad to hear you're doing better scintillady

D
Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done scintillady. Keep up the good work
Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep on keepin' on.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on staying on your path & battling snowstorms too!
Keep up the good work.... Do u know the name of the tea your daughter gave you?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
So the other day I posted that I was starting my day one again after starting day one every day since around Thanksgiving when pretty much everything in my world fell apart. Was amazed to make it to day 2 and 3, and now I'm finishing up day 4! After driving 1.5 hours in a terrific snowstorm, getting stuck in the road into my parking lot and having to take my dog out in the blinding snowstorm TWICE, I really would have appreciated a nice glass of wine (or 10-12) to warm up and relax. Believe it or not, this time I don't have very strong cravings. My daughter gave me some special tea that helps sleep, and I'm drinking that instead. 4 days without wine has saved me at least 20 dollars so far, also. (I like cheap wine!!) Now I can go get that labwork I've been putting off because I haven't been able to go the whole 24 hours without alcohol it requires. Not out of the woods yet, but better than I have done in months.
One thing you have to be very careful about is medications and drugs. Sleeping meds in particular have alcohol in them. Neo-Citron, NyQuil. Some stuff even comes with a convienent little shot glass. Candy sometimes has alcohol in it, desserts and other meals. Simple fact of the matter is I have to become an expert in what is in the food I am eating.

Secondly, its just an obsession of the mind, cravings start once you take a drink of alcohol. This is one major Myth that gets propogated.

Thirdly, all we are dealing with is life. Life happens. We think we are special, that once in recovery everything should go smoothly, where nothing bad will happen. That is simply not the case. Life is life, we have to live life on lifes terms. And when life happens to us alcoholics, our natural tendency is to drink. We are alcoholics thats what we do, we drink. Simple stuff. This is not rocket science.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Officially the start of day 6, and amazed! I have a 3 day weekend every weekend (Th-Sat) and this will be the first one in a long time that one whole day hasn't been wasted in a blur of alcohol. I had a hard time tonight with delicious homemade pizza and not being able to have my wine with it, but I made it. Pizza and wine just have always gone hand in hand for me. Another thing I really miss is taking a candlelit bath and reading and enjoying my wine. Oh well, the tradeoff will be worth it, I know. The tea my daughter gave me is a special blend made from locally grown organic herbs that is sold at a local tea shop and made to order. It has valerian root, chamomile, linden flowers, lemon balm, lavender, and hops. Kind of bitter from the hops, but really helps.