Notices

Thank you

Old 02-13-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I thought I was doing so good moderating........damn it was work. I spent way way too much time worrying about counting my drinks. Oh I so wish I was a moderate drinker, but sadly, I am not.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If you want an honest opinion, no it's not a good idea! I've tried it before, sometimes successfully for a few months even but I always reverted back to my old ways. I'm sure I'm not the only one on here with this experience
Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

So here's the rub....my "its ok to have a glass of wine before and with dinner" date is this Saturday....and I would like to know one way or the other if I can moderate. When I say "moderate" I mean a glass of wine or two a night on the weekends and nothing during the week. Easy on the liver, easy on the waistline, and way wayyyyy easier on the wallet.
I think that's the dream of most of us here at one time or another.

I never made it work for me, Good Kitty.

Taking alcohol completely out of the equation - for good - opened up my life and myself in quite an amazing way.

I really hope you'll continue on that path but, of course, it's your life

I'm curious tho - have you never tried to moderate before?

D
Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If you decide to go ahead and try moderation, you'll probably figure out pretty quick whether or not it's going to work for you. What you'll hear over and over and what was true for me as well was that I was always hyper-AWARE of how hard I was having to try to drink in moderation. I couldn't have enough to get lit but I'd had enough of a taste to want more more more more (always with the more). It was all wanting and no satisfaction. Just awful.

All of us here (and by that I mean those of us who know we cannot drink in moderation -- whether you will fit into that group at some point remains to be seen and is all for you to decide) wanted so, so badly to be able to do it. I would fantasize about a life where alcohol was just . . . a non-issue, where I'd have a few, not have a few, whatever, it didn't matter or register. But that's never happening for me. And like everyone else here, I wish I'd figured that out sooner than I did. My insides whispered it to myself for years and years before I quit for good a few months ago.

Keep us posted and know that whatever happens, you have our support. If you end up staying around, then welcome!

J.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You probably know your "status" deep down, GoodKitty. If you do have a problem then things will quickly escalate again. If not of course then you have nothing to worry about.

If it were me I wouldn't chance it, but I know from long painful experience that I can't moderate. By grace of something I was able to quit once I set my mind to it. If I start again who knows if I'll be able to stop again? It seems like pushing my luck.

Here's the part that has me thinking that drinking again would be dangerous for you:

Originally Posted by goodkitty View Post

However, I decided in January that if I couldn't go 30 days without a drink, I would check myself into an inpatient facility... So, since January 16th, 2014 I haven't had one drop of booze. I have been sleeping like the dead, losing weight, and I am proud of myself - something I haven't been in a long time.
By your own admission, being sober has been great for you. Read your own words as objectively as you can. You're essentially saying, hmmm... life has been great, but maybe I should quit what has been working and return to something that was wearing me down! That is the way the addictive voice works, not the rational voice.

What if it was chocolate? Say you got very sick when you ate chocolate, so you went a month without eating any and your symptoms went away. Sensing you're allergic you go to the doctor and tests confirm you're very allergic to the stuff. Now, maybe you like chocolate a lot but would you ever consider eating the stuff again, knowing it would make you very ill? If not then why does alcohol get a pass?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Don't do it, in your first post you said you were considering checking yourself into re-hab if you couldn't abstain....people who can moderate never think about checking themselves into re-hab.....look long, hard and honestly at the reasons you decided to stop in mid Jan and ask yourself is it worth the risk of going back for a glass of wine either side of dinner and were those previous actions the actions of a person without a problem.....to recover i think deep self examination is necessary. Sorry if I sound preachy, I don't mean to.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackieC View Post
If you decide to go ahead and try moderation, you'll probably figure out pretty quick whether or not it's going to work for you. What you'll hear over and over and what was true for me as well was that I was always hyper-AWARE of how hard I was having to try to drink in moderation. I couldn't have enough to get lit but I'd had enough of a taste to want more more more more (always with the more). It was all wanting and no satisfaction. Just awful.

All of us here (and by that I mean those of us who know we cannot drink in moderation -- whether you will fit into that group at some point remains to be seen and is all for you to decide) wanted so, so badly to be able to do it. I would fantasize about a life where alcohol was just . . . a non-issue, where I'd have a few, not have a few, whatever, it didn't matter or register. But that's never happening for me. And like everyone else here, I wish I'd figured that out sooner than I did. My insides whispered it to myself for years and years before I quit for good a few months ago.

Keep us posted and know that whatever happens, you have our support. If you end up staying around, then welcome!

J.

Your words resonate with me...and help more than you know. At the moment, I am conflicted and that says something. RIGHT? Starting to think I have a million reasons not to drink and NONE to actually do so. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Not preachy at all...very helpful and thank you.

Last edited by goodkitty; 02-14-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: I must learn to use the system...this post is directed at MARATHON MAN
Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think that's the dream of most of us here at one time or another.

I never made it work for me, Good Kitty.

Taking alcohol completely out of the equation - for good - opened up my life and myself in quite an amazing way.

I really hope you'll continue on that path but, of course, it's your life

I'm curious tho - have you never tried to moderate before?

D
To be honest, I don't think I ever have...I have just been having 'fun' with my life and in the last few years its gotten out of hand. I certainly haven't gone this long without a drink since my teen years....but heck its 30 days...I would think most moderate drinkers would have something in that timeframe, if only once. I haven't ever been committed to behaving myself. But who knows if I have it in me. And do I really even want to try?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodkitty View Post
This last almost month has been quite liberating actually.
"Liberating" is a significant choice of word here. "To set free, as from imprisonment or bondage." Seems a strong statement about how you really feel about life before and after…