Notices

New to the site

Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the site. I joined because I recently went to my first Al-Anon meeting and wanted support for the times I couldn't get to a meeting. There is only one GLBT Al-Anon meeting for many miles around here and they only meet once a week...so the extra support would be great. Would love to make some new friends.

Started going to Al-Anon to try and figure out how to heal myself, as my father is an alcoholic. He blames me for his alcoholism, as my homosexuality "drove" him to drink when he had been a "Good Christian man" all his life. I left the church many years ago as paganism seemed to fit better with my beliefs...but he will often get drunk and call and talk about how he wished I was different...and I guess I didn't realize how much it was affecting me.

I found myself withdrawing at work and not wanting to hang out with friends. When people asked about my family I'd clam up and get embarassed...and they would push me until I told him the truth...then back away like I was damaged goods. Still got a long way to go. But I have my newcomer's chip and I'm hopeful.

Thanks for listening.

~pup
Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Pup, it's good to have you here As a recovering alcoholic I know that only one thing makes us drink and that's our own addiction, you are not responsible for your father's drinking no matter what he says. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. So glad you made it. Come here for support. Come here to support others. It's an amazing thing. Thank you for posting.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR WildPup - we get it
you'll find a lot of support here.

D
Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

Please don't allow your father's words to affect you any longer. You are not responsible for your father's drinking, nor his words. I'm glad you're seeking support for yourself.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Pup! I think it will really help you to be here with us. This is a friendly & encouraging group.

I'm sorry you've been hurt by your father's attitude. It's unfair for you to be burdened like that - but I'm glad you've reached out for some help & reassurance. Glad to have you join the family.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find lots of support here.