Notices

5 months and depressed...

Old 02-12-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 months and depressed...

Hey guys....first off, I just want to say that I just hit the 5 months sober mark on Monday. Which is the longest I have ever been sober after a year and a half of relapses. I'm pretty proud of that. Externally, things are going really well. Stable job, great relationship, all that jazz. Internally, I'm not doing so great. I've always had anxiety but these past few weeks I've started to develop some hardcore depression. This is the first time I am feeling this. It's pretty straight forward: crappy sleep, losing motivation to do things, over eating, mood swings, low self esteem. It sucks right now! I plan on talking to my therapist and doctor about this asap. Just want to know if others can relate who have never experienced depression before..? It's also kicked my AV into overdrive. I'm hoping this is just a part of recovery that I just need to overcome! Also, I found this...I am totally relating to it right now!!:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
download.jpg (11.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi fancycat - congrats on 5 months.

I think it's great you're seeing your Dr - if you're anxious and depressed and there's no tangible reason why you should be, I think getting some professional insight is the way to go

D
Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Whoo hoo on 5 months.

I know I definitely went thru a dark period 3-4 months in. It's like everything seems to be going great and then the depressions sets in. I was either horrible cranky or depressed. I was exhausted and couldn't focus. I couldn't get enough sleep. The littlest thing would set me off. And yes I almost threw in the towel, but looking back, I am so thankful I didn't. Maybe it is PAWS. It did eventually pass but it was tough to get thru it. It was like I was getting somewhere but really wasn't. Like what was I really accomplishing?

I think it is normal to go thru these periods we are having to adjust to so much stuff and learn so much that I think it just catches up to us. And the chemicals in our brains and our whole body has to get well again. It definatley doesn't hurt to go see your doctor just for some peace of mind.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I experienced a deep lethargy early on in my recovery but as time went by, it passed; if your feelings continue, it might be wise to run those feelings by a therapist. (P.S. - tell that AV that you are not going to fall for his empty promises/false courage).

Five months is definitely something to be proud of; stay on that path of strength.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Fancycat, 5 months is FANTASTIC, congratulations. I have suffered somewhat from depression too since I got sober and really don't know why because not much has gone wrong. Comes and goes. Rootin for ya.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five months sober! Do see your doctor or therapist about this.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fancycat, congratulations and keep talking to your doctor. It is a tough time of year. I don't have any advice for you but I want you to know I hope you stay the course. The clouds will lift.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Fancycat and congrats on your sober time. I still suffer with depression sometimes and see a therapist for that which is really helpful xxx