Notices

inpatient treatment center???.. seeking advice

Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

inpatient treatment center???.. seeking advice

Point, blank, period.... I cannot quit alone. Called a treatment facility. I think I should check in for 30 days. Don't trust myself to do only outpatient. Any feedback on what to expect, or advice? Thanks
Old 02-12-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I haven't been to inpatient so i can't tell you what to expect, but I congratulate you on your decision, sounds like a great step in the right direction.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I actually wish I was in inpatient right now. I am on day 16 and am really struggling. At least if you are in a facility, you can't drink.

That being said...you wake up early and go to bed somewhat late. The day is heavily scheduled with group meetings, individual meetings with your assigned counselor and usually AA/NA meetings at night. There is usually a visiting day on SUndays, once you have been there for 5 days or so. The food usually sucks unless you are at a high end facility. There are certain rules regarding what to wear, when you can smoke, talking to the opposite sex - etc. Overall, I think inpatient is great. I've been to a few different places and liked them all.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Be open to others being direct with you and make good use of agreeing to disagree. Not everything is going to relate with you in 30 days, so even though your residence may end in 30 days, the benefits of your stay can last a lifetime. Rehabs are not all equal in performance or even purpose, and its no surprise you'll have both positive as well as negative experiences inside of 30 days. Don't sweat all the small stuff, and remember that at the end of each day, its up to you what worth that day is for YOU.

Best wishes!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you should. I want to go but I don't have a way to pay for it. There is only on facility that will take me in our area. It is a place that they take mental cases. I'm afraid to go there. I went once in 1995. It was great. It was a Catholic hospital. Lots of classes and education. None of the programs seem to be alike. Check them out online for as much as you can find out. I even found pictures of the rooms.
Good luck , I will be thinking of you.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Honestly I'm so scared. But I think that's my av knowing I literally won't be able to drink. At this point I feel like this treatment is my only option. Its one of the best centers where I live. Also scared of dealing with my emotions sober.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I've met some really awesome people in rehab. There is truly nothing to feel scared of, and you get a lot of support (that you can't get at home) when you are dealing with those sober emotions. I'm jealous!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr B

I can't speak to inpatient because when I went for my evaluation the suggested intensive outpatient for me!

I will say this though this was probably the best thing I've ever done in my life! I went M,W,F from 6-9 and then once a week to see my individual counselor at the treatment facility! We were also required to hit two meetings a week outs side of the treatment! This really kept me busy and I learned so much in 6 weeks! We also had family night on Friday where the family could come listen to the lecture and join group. This was also very helpful cause I was able to see, hear and learn how much my drinking was affecting my family!

I've been out of treatment for two weeks and I'm going to continuing care one a week at the treatment facility and meetings every day!

I think if you decide to go what your feeling now (scared) will go away once you get there! It's always scary to go someplace like that and sometimes we get scared because of what we might hear about ourselves! I now look at the bright side of being scared and that is they are there to me get better!

Good luck on whatever you decide!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So I called. Appointment tomorrow for an assessment. Their outpatient program is pretty intense. Mon-Fri 6-9pm. Doctors, therapists, multiple types of meetings, random drug testing every week.... Now idk which one to choose. At least with outpatient I can still work, and keep up with my bills. But they'll tell me which one they think is best. I'll do whatever they suggest.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck my friend. I want you to make it
Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let us know what they say Toodie

D
Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mr B

Good luck!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know it worked for me. I did inpatient for 30 days....and didn't have insurance. Luckily in Michigan theres a funding source called SEMCA. They paid for the whole thing....30 days inpatient AND 4 weeks intensive outpatient. In outpatient....they even picked me up every day in their van and drove me home. Anyway...that was ten years ago....and Im still sober. It saved my life.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, know that it's fine to be scared. I didn't go to a treatment facility, but I was so very scared when I stopped drinking. You're making a good choice to take care of yourself. I hope it goes well.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So I'm about to go to my appointment. I'm soooo nervous. I know I shouldn't be, but geesh. A little anxiety going on. Wish me luck. :-\
Old 02-13-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mr B

Good luck! Just be honest with them and in time the anxiety will slowly go away!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am not an addict but my husband is and has went. Here is what I wish we had done. I wish we had spent the time researching the place much better instead of taking the first place who had a bed. For him, he has some extreme anxiety and some other issues. He should have went to a place that had a dual diagnosis so they would have treated not only the alcohol abuse but also the underlying causes. 30 days is not very long, not long enough in my opinion.

I wish you the best of luck.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have done inpatient and outpatient. My last was the inpatient and I got a lot out of it. It was a good experience. What Freethinking described was a pretty good overall description of my experience.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Toodie

D
Old 02-13-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So all went well. I'll be doing intensive outpatient. And i start Monday. :-)