Notices

60 Days Today!!!!!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! Congrats! I love reading posts like this, gives hope to all of us that are newly sober
Old 02-12-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well done!!! Every day sober is a good day.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies!

To answer an inquiry about adapting my "zen philosophy"... For me, it's really the ability to accept whatever life throws your way. This is way different than numbing out with booze or drugs. My counselor helped me see this way of life through allowing myself to have an emotion without becoming my emotion. A lot of times I was drinking at someone or a problem so to develop a healthier way to cope is key to my recovery.

I still get angry or upset sad etc BUT I allow myself to flow naturally with the emotion and it slowly goes away. This technique proved very helpful with my anxiety when I first stopped drinking. The feeling would come but I didn't try and fight it or anything. I just accepted that this was the way I felt and it would soon pass. Like the waves of the ocean if you try to swim against them it will wear you out. Now I just float on my raft and enjoy the sun! LOL

Working out and staying active have helped me in a big way as well and I still feel challenged every day not to drink. The toughest part about feeling better is to NOT fall back into the same routine. Thanks again for all the support!