Notices

I got this

Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got this

Hi,

I'm an alcoholic and I am okay with that. Nobody did this to me.. It wasn't all bad and I had allot of fun at times. But it just keeps making more demands of me, drink more oh just get the economy bottle and save some.. Riiiight. Soon I'm not running as much or as well, AM cardio doesn't happen having the shakes while lifting isn't fun. Just a nice downward spiral. I had a pretty bad bender this weekend and no more.

I feel very fortunate my daughter has a scholarship, son is joining the military, fantastic job, no DUI, I didn't manage to hurt anyone just a pile a money and big black holes of missing memory. My friends all know my deal, I never lied to anyone that I loved to drink like a sailor on leave.

I found this site in search of how to ween off alcohol and I started yesterday, I drank about 1/3 of what I normally do and that is still a good bit, however I was up at 5:30AM and hit the gym. I have the shakes and hot and cold sweet thing going on. If I have to sneak in a shot every 4 hours or so for awhile to fend of the anxiety/shakes so bit it.

I going to give it a go see if I can slowly ween off to zero, if I need to go to a facility I will, but reducing the harm is my main focus, can't hurt to drinking 1/4 of what I was when I get there! Maybe go check out AA next week.

THANK-YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Can't you see a doctor about withdrawal? You don't want to over do it and you sound like you feel unwell already. Maybe the doctor can go though a plan with you xxx
Old 02-19-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Okay so I went to the Dr and she gave two weeks worth of lorazapam. It works.

It really took a huge edge off the shakes, anxiety and the hot/cold sweating. The symptoms would lead me to drink them away. I drink every other day at about 1/4 the amount I was. Today I didn't even take a pill and I am not drinking as I don't have any withdrawls that I can sense anyways. Monday I went scuba diving! Waking up and hitting the the gym before work.....

Now that I don't live in a fog, I have been catching up at work, my friends, a pile of mail, piles of clothes, cleaning, getting the cars taken care of, re budgeting. These thing loomed over my head and made things worse, it feels so good to get those out of the way.

I still have a ways to go but I am just so happy not to be hurting myself. Going from 750-1000ml a day to 350ml every other day is a huge deal. When I get all these other things taken care of I will finish this.

Just reading this forum I felt empowered to do something about it.. I know I've only been on here for a week but as soon as I tamed the withdrawls it got soooo much easier.

Like I said, let me get caught up on life and I will finish this and work on getting a sound mind and body back.

One thing I didn't expect at all and may be key to something else I need to address. When I was taking to Lorazepam, I became very focused and productive at work, not that I sucked before... It just became "easy"

Any thoughts?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better - but drinking on benzoes is not recommended.
I'm not being a killjoy here - it can be dangerous, particularly Ativan.

Why not try for total abstinence?
whats holding you back?

D
Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi
Be careful... The benzos are highly addictive. If you like the way they make you feel be even more careful!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and that your withdrawal is progressing. I have to add my concern to those already expressed above that you need to be very careful with the Ativan; it is so easy to substitute one addiction for another (it's in our natures unfortunately).

Welcome to SR.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi ThatsJustMyGame. Glad that you have reduced your alcohol intake and that you are feeling much better and more productive. Its probably time to take the next step and stop all together. Wait till you see the benefits that you get from total abstinence Take a deep breath and go for it Keep posting you will get lots of support here.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatsJustMyGame View Post
Hi,

I'm an alcoholic and I am okay with that. Nobody did this to me.. It wasn't all bad and I had allot of fun at times. But it just keeps making more demands of me, drink more oh just get the economy bottle and save some.. Riiiight. Soon I'm not running as much or as well, AM cardio doesn't happen having the shakes while lifting isn't fun. Just a nice downward spiral. I had a pretty bad bender this weekend and no more.

I feel very fortunate my daughter has a scholarship, son is joining the military, fantastic job, no DUI, I didn't manage to hurt anyone just a pile a money and big black holes of missing memory. My friends all know my deal, I never lied to anyone that I loved to drink like a sailor on leave.

I found this site in search of how to ween off alcohol and I started yesterday, I drank about 1/3 of what I normally do and that is still a good bit, however I was up at 5:30AM and hit the gym. I have the shakes and hot and cold sweet thing going on. If I have to sneak in a shot every 4 hours or so for awhile to fend of the anxiety/shakes so bit it.

I going to give it a go see if I can slowly ween off to zero, if I need to go to a facility I will, but reducing the harm is my main focus, can't hurt to drinking 1/4 of what I was when I get there! Maybe go check out AA next week.

THANK-YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!
Yup this disease is Chronic, Progressive and Fatal.
Fatal = Death
Chronic = happens more then once
Progressive = gets worse over time never better, even in sobriety. We start off where we left off when we go back out drinking.

Controlled drinking never works.

Complete abstiance is the key.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support you'll find here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah....the Ativan is supposed to be for when you totally stop drinking....I wouldn't take it while you attempt to taper off....