Notices

Day 9 - confused

Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 - confused

Day 9. I'm ok. I want to see a therapist. So went to the phone book and called two. One never called back. One called back about four days later. He was more interested in my insurance than what I wanted to talk about. Ok no connection there. Called my GP, she gave me a list of 10 names. Started calling, except for one, they were not taking any new patients !!! Finally found one but I can't get in until March 5. What is up with this? Is this normal? Trying to hang until I can get in in March. I have never heard of such a thing. Lucky I'm not suicidal or anything, or I would be expired before I can get an app. (I'm not suicidal by the way). Strangest thing. I need this run at sobriety to be different. This is not making it easy. So I shall wait....
Old 02-12-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Day 9. I'm ok. I want to see a therapist. So went to the phone book and called two. One never called back. One called back about four days later. He was more interested in my insurance than what I wanted to talk about. Ok no connection there. Called my GP, she gave me a list of 10 names. Started calling, except for one, they were not taking any new patients !!! Finally found one but I can't get in until March 5. What is up with this? Is this normal? Trying to hang until I can get in in March. I have never heard of such a thing. Lucky I'm not suicidal or anything, or I would be expired before I can get an app. (I'm not suicidal by the way). Strangest thing. I need this run at sobriety to be different. This is not making it easy. So I shall wait....
It's much the same here unfortunately. But we can drop by to a therapist or available key worker in an emergency. Is there anything like that where you are? xxx
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Probably but I don't feel like I am an emergency situation. I just know that what I've done in the past to beat this thing has failed, I need something different. I feel confident I can hang tough just wish I didn't have to Sweetie. Do we have a shortage of therapists in Utah or have we all gone nutty here? Hahahaha. Thanks for thinking of me.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if it is normal, Raider, I have a list of people on my desk I haven't called. I think this run may be different for you already, though.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Raider I sent you a PM with 20 female psychologists and counselors within your area with positive feedback. Start dialing.

Good job and I too think this time is different for you
Old 02-12-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am experiencing the same. Feeling desperate to see a therapist as my anxiety is through the roof. It's literally debilitating. New they could do was next month as well and I made this apointment 3 weeks ago. I told them how bad I was feelin and that is was interfering with my ability to even leave the house. They told me to go to the ER. What are thy going to do? Give me Ativan and send me home. Not helpful. I'm frustrated as well, sorry you are in the same boat.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Raider, a therapist who doesn't call you back in a day, even if they can't work with you, is a good miss. Pursuing a career in which you work with people who are typically in distress initially should mean that they understand the nature of calls they will be fielding. A therapist who is concerned with insurance up front may have a business in which high volume dictates their livelihood.

A therapist should be there to guide you on how to navigate through life in early recovery. As such, someone who does not have it together enough to return a phone call to a prospective client the day they call probably doesn't have something you want.

I don't believe there are any coincidences, the right person is out there, you just need to find her/him. I agree with JD, you seem motivated and it seems like you own your sobriety this time.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Indenial618 View Post
I am experiencing the same. Feeling desperate to see a therapist as my anxiety is through the roof. It's literally debilitating. New they could do was next month as well and I made this apointment 3 weeks ago. I told them how bad I was feelin and that is was interfering with my ability to even leave the house. They told me to go to the ER. What are thy going to do? Give me Ativan and send me home. Not helpful. I'm frustrated as well, sorry you are in the same boat.
Well, this seems hard, but would some meds not help at all, albeit temporarily?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have meds prescribed for anxiety to take as needed but they make me sleepy. I can't take them in my line of work. Wouldn't be safe.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks JD. Calling.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can connect with a therapist, Raider. And, know that you can always check in here if you're looking for support.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How about a women's AA meeting in the meantime? I used to go to a very small intimate one at a church on Thursday ams (before I went back to work) and it really helped me. Granted some of the women's meetings can be a bit cliquey but if you find the right one, they can work wonders...

Last edited by sillysuzanfree; 02-12-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling error