Notices

New to this and hurting

Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this and hurting

Im new to recovering and have been drinking often since I was about 14 (25 now) and have hit rock bottom. Lost the girl I loved along with her daughter, multiple jobs, and have been really depressed for a long time. Completely lack of motivation to do anything. I had a bad binge that was about four days long and ended with me having a bottle of wine to help with my withdrawals yesterday. My ability to drink a lot has turned from something I'm proud of to something that's terrifying me. I'm currently going through withdrawals and it's the worst I've ever felt. I almost called 911 earlier because I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I haven't slept in three days and I feel really loopy. Can't socialize, trouble speaking correctly, shaking, hot and cold flashes, severe anxiety and depression, chest pain, etc. what can I do to help me get through this? I'm desperate. I can't drink anymore and I want to change my life around. I've never asked for help with it before out of embarrassment.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're in the right spot! Sorry you're feeling so terrible, stick it out and it will get better! I'm new to this whole 'asking for help' thing myself as I just started coming here a month ago... and getting up the courage to go to my first AA meeting tonight... SR is a great resource though!

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bonziak - welcome to SR

If you're feeling poorly the very best thing to do is see a Dr. - whether it's your own doctor or the ER is up to you, depending on how you feel.

I'm sorry for your sadness and all the things you've lost...the way out from under all that really is to stop drinking....it's the best way I know to reclaim your life and get back to being the person you want to be

you'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 02-11-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I know this is the only way or I will probably end up dead. I am feeling very bad, but I was trying to figure out if it's bad enough to actually see a doctor? I don't even go when I'm really sick. Everyone is saying different amounts of time for withdrawals
Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

two things that you mentioned can be very serious

Originally Posted by Bonziak View Post

trouble speaking correctly, shaking, hot and cold flashes, severe anxiety and depression, chest pain, etc.
there is only one thing here that ones are supposed to tell you at this point
best go to the ER and see a doctor

chest pain is nothing to fool with
and trouble speaking correctly can be a sign of a stroke
I know well because I ended up in the ER with this condition (blurred speech)
they told me that it was a very good thing that I came in

once you get feeling better
hopefully ones here can help you with some of the other issues that will come up
but
for right now
staying alive is #1
call a doc ASAP

Mountainman
Old 02-11-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Bonziak - you found a great place for help and encouragement.

The good news is you're discovering at a young age what alcohol does to you. I went on for many more years trying to control it. You can rebuild your life and turn it all around. Your body will heal and you'll rejoin the human race. I know just how you feel, but here's where your misery can end. We're so glad to have you with us.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was never a great one for doctors either but my last detox was a very bad one.

I'm not saying yours will be too
- but if you want peace of mind, the only way to really get that is to see a Dr., Bonziak

Personally? I think any kind of chest pain needs looking at, even if it proves to be anxiety

D
Old 02-11-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Please go to a doctor.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know this is rough for you. Ive been there more times than I care to count. I will tell you this....without medical help...people can die from alcohol withdrawal. If I were you....I'd go to the ER. They can make this process much more comfortable for you. They can make so you feel almost no symptoms. They did for me. After I left the hospital....I went into rehab. Ive been sober for ten years since then. You can do this....but I wouldn't do it alone. Just my opinion...
Old 02-11-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

a lot of times,...we make the decision to go it alone at home. But we make that decision based how we are feeling at that exact moment. I had to anticipate how I would feel hours from then...or the next day....withdrawal gets worse before it subsides. Getting to the hospital now...in my opinion...is your best bet.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with the others: see a doctor now. Withdrawal is nothing to fool with.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone. Go to the ER. They can help you and make it more comfortable. I'm only 2 weeks in but I can tell you if you can get through the first 4 or 5 days, the physical symptoms will get better. But again, with what you are describing please take the symptoms seriously. I've seen people have seizures!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow. I really appreciate the support everyone. I didn't think I would have this much help. It's more like pressure in my chest but reading about it is scary. I'm a semi healthy guy and consider myself fairly young so the whole heart thing is very surprising. I've ad a withdrawal a few times before but I haven't had it this bad and I don't remember my chest hurting. I suppose I should go to a doctor if literally all of you think so lol. Thank you again. I know I will really get through it this time.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Bonziak. I hope your doctor can help. xxxx
Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Bonziak! Let us know how you are doing!