Notices

Still upset...

Old 02-11-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still upset...

I've spent all day, really angry. After relapsing last night all I've felt today has been anger. I am rarely angry about anything, even when drinking and I'm very good about relaxing, but for some reason today... I'm just pissed off.

Can't seem to put my finger on it and just relax today.

I did track down an AA meeting, I plan on going. It will be my first one and I'm super anxious about it, I am really uncomfortable in social situations, especially around new people, so maybe that nervousness is some of it... anyone else get this way when quitting, just plain angry and not even sure why or what at?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If your anger is making you want to drink, then it's your addiction and could be related to withdrawal. But in reading your previous post, you seem to be harboring some resentment to your wife.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I should clarify, I don't want to drink at all. In all honesty it's the last thing on my mind. Maybe I am mad at her, we've been hashing some things out on email while I've been at work and she has made some very valid points and I'm seeing her side more... but maybe it's just lingering, I don't know... this is a little new to me, I have always been good at talking myself through whatever gets me upset until I calm down, but today it's been fists clenched at the computer...

Good news is I do actually feel more committed than ever and ready to get back into my sobriety all engines go. Thanks for helping me vent a bit Carl, kinda hoping if I just write it out a bit I'll settle down.....
Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Another clarification, not 'last thing on my mind' but last thing I feel like doing right now...
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by 12mancan View Post

I did track down an AA meeting, I plan on going. It will be my first one and I'm super anxious about it, I am really uncomfortable in social situations, especially around new people, so maybe that nervousness is some of it... anyone else get this way when quitting, just plain angry and not even sure why or what at?

Thanks.
Most of us alcoholics are uncomfortable in social situations sober. Everyone feels the way you do about going to their first meeting. Luckily, people in AA meetings are super nice to the newcomer.

Let's see - I am on day 14 and in the past 2 weeks I have been sad, angry and most of the time plain irritable. I think it's normal (although not exactly enjoyable at times!).
Old 02-11-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's pretty common to feel out of sorts after drinking, especially when having sober periods beforehand. For many, all it takes is one binge to re-set the clock and take them back to where they were the last time they drank, sometimes it's even worse.

I think going to a meeting is a great idea, you'll meet a room full of people that are dealing with the exact same problems you are most likely. You don't have to say a word if you don't want to, just listen and only speak if you feel inclined to do so.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Free, I'm kind of hoping all the positivity and niceness I've found here at SR has prepped me to relax a little about going to the meeting, but still, I'm just one of those people that freaks out about talking in front of people...

And I guess looking back since I quit I have been pretty irritable today just more so maybe because of last nights relapse.... Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's ok to sit at the back and listen too 12mancan - you might hear something that you really needed to hear
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You are likely disappointed and fed up with all of this. I'm glad your'e not drinking now. xxxx