Notices

Road Trip

Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Road Trip

I am having some anxiety about an upcoming road trip I am taking tomorrow. While there is the potential for the trip to be a very enjoyable train ride up the coast of California there are also two word that keep coming up in my mind; BAR CAR. I have books, music, snacks, SR, and people to call as my safety nets. The ride itself is only part of the concern though. Once I get to where I am going I will be in an environment close to friends I used to drink with. Most do not have the same issues I have with alcohol and don't pressure me to drink. But I do recall that I feel very triggered to drink whenever I visit. I have expressed that I am an alcoholic and will not drink. So far it has been well received. I am resolved to stay the course just needed to write it down, makes it seem more real for me.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by seeks View Post
Most do not have the same issues I have with alcohol and don't pressure me to drink. But I do recall that I feel very triggered to drink whenever I visit.
Sounds risky. You don't need anyone to pressure you. All you need to drink is that voice in your head that tells you this time will be different.

Beware that voice.

Personally, I couldn't have taken the trip that early in my recovery. I was pretty raw and hadn't developed the tools I have now for dealing with such situations and triggers. So, good luck to you.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will be reaching out frequently and I agree it's risky. Unfortunately it's a must for work. I've done it many times before without drinking but you are right ever slip has been because I listened to that voice that told me this time would be different ill just have one. I never have just one. I just looked up meeting where I'm going SR and AA are new tools for me this time around. Again thank you
Old 02-11-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rely on that phone Seeks. It sounds to me as if you have done what you need to do to prepare. Just remember it's okay to have obsessive thoughts about alcohol If you are an alcoholic then it's perfectly natural to have cravings - it's part of what make you part of the club. Just remember you don't have to act on these feelings. Fighting thoughts is hard, so don't try. Just let them happen, and let them leave. Just observe them and and be amused, and they will pass along. You might even try writing in a little journal the thoughts you are having, and then rip it up and throw it away. It might sound stupid but it might work for you - something else to try.

That said, I would reiterate to keep that phone handy - my sponsor calls a strong craving and/or freak out a case of "ODF" -- "Out 'der flappin!" If you get ODF, call your lifeline - talking about your craving will also take the power from it, because you will realize it has no power unless you feed it from your own mind. God bless and enjoy your trip! I believe you will do great!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Climber! I like the "ODF", it really speaks to my tendencies. I can be going along with months of sobriety under my belt and one day wake up with the intention to go drink. In the past the first person I would call would be a drinking buddy, now I have a lifeline and SR which is amazing. This is the first time I changed my approach to dealing with my alcoholism. Developing tools for the acute cravings and doing the work when I'm feeling good to prevent the relapse when that voice gets loud. SR is the first place I came across the "voice". Its nice to have something almost tangible to identify the craving as and like you said I have the power.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Survived the train ride without incident aka going to the bar car and having "a drink". I must say I've been reading a lot on SR and it helps to hear my story told; not that I would wish this on anyone. Thanks for the support!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just returned from my road trip a couple days ago and am pleased to report I did not drink. While I didnt post on SR I was reading posts daily to keep my head in the game. There were many situations that came up that I would normally use as an excuse to drink ie seeing old friends, friend had a baby, valentines day, etc. I was straight forward with my friends that I don't drink anymore and to not offer and they were all very supportive. In my head my AV was very loud at times and I definitely had to stay conscious of my intention not to drink at all time. That gets exhausting. My strategy was to mentally walk myself through to the next day and how disappointed, depressed, anxious I would feel. By the time I came to the end of that the craving was gone and then I would wake up the next day with no regrets and that feels amazing! On day 18...
Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Seeks, it's really to your credit that you did this trip, full of temptations, and came through sober. When I survived an event where I would normally drink I felt so proud of myself and full of confidence for the next time. I hope it's had that effect on you?
I use SR for support and I'm sure it's played a big part in keeping me motivated.
Congratuations
Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on sticking with it. I like your strategy walking yourself through the next day feeling horrible. I'm going to try to remember to do that.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Feelinggreat! I do have more confidence in myself with this accomplishment. I am a bit cautious though because I've gone months without drinking only to convince myself I can have a couple beers only to end in a binge. The difference this time around is I am actively using and developing tools and support. SR is a great support and I appreciate everyone's support and experience. Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gotta have a game plan here for this trip.

Just wondering about this train ride your going on, does it go right up the coast, highway 1?

Anyway this will be a good learning tool for you. We can not hide from liquor.

What if we go to the greenland ice cap to get away from booze and an eskimoo were to come up with his applejack?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a plan seek - think about likely scenarios and how to deal with them...have support available to you.

Originally Posted by matt4x4
We can not hide from liquor.

What if we go to the greenland ice cap to get away from booze and an eskimoo were to come up with his applejack?
Actually I think we can avoid highly charged drinking situations in the beginning.

Keep in mind this is Newcomers forum.
Nowadays I can go anywhere - but I had to work up to that.

Putting myself in difficult drinking situations too soon and with no planning was often my downfall.

...oh, and I think they prefer 'Inuit' these days Matt

D
Old 02-27-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just to clarify the trip already happened and I didn't drink but faced some challenging situations along the way. matt4x4 it was along the coast for most of the ride paralleling highway 1 then the 101. Spent most of the time studying for my physical therapy exam; def something I couldn't do drunk or hungover. Thanks for the support!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad you went through this and learned from the experience. I think your signature sums it up: "I never regret NOT drinking".

Many people are scared to go on trips to places where they might feel tempted to drink - Vegas, I find, is a big one - and I agree that if you feel that there's a chance you might give in and take a drink, you should by all means avoid the trip. But if you make a decision to refuse to drink, and stick by your guns, you'll come out the other side of the trip realizing you had a much better time on your trip than you would have had if you'd spent it drinking. In addition, your memories will be better, and you'll feel more confident about your commitment to sobriety.

While abstinence is a restriction, I find that sobriety offers greater freedom than drinking. Your vacations are no longer controlled by when and where you can find and drink alcohol. And you can spend the money you would have spent on alcohol on good food and fun things to do.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for the misunderstanding Seeks

D