Notices

Making decisions and sticking with them

Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making decisions and sticking with them

I am wondering if anyone else has this issue. I am a few months sober now (give or take a few slip-ups), and many areas of my life have gotten dramatically better. I feel more clear-headed, confident, less anxiety, less depression, so on and so forth. Things are generally great for me.

Generally. It's weird, some days I am extremely excited and happy to be sober, and others, not so much. It's like I am all over the place with my emotions. Sure, I was like this when I was a drunk, but it doesn't seem to be getting much better with sobriety, albeit early sobriety. I can function in other areas of my life, but if I decide Option A "without a doubt", then it takes hardly anything to persuade me into Option B. I have no idea why that is. I can't seem to make up my mind firmly.

I mean, I will jump from one point of view to another without really missing a beat. I can't firmly stand for something, if that makes any sense. Yesterday, I was so excited to be sober, and today I don't feel that same energy. I'm in the process of buying a new house, and I can't seem to make a decision on anything, and stick with my decision. I'll jump all over the place, erratically and without really thinking things through. This is fine for some things, I suppose, but in my situation where sobriety is very important, it can be dangerous.

I'm wondering if anyone else has these issues, and whether it will get better as my sober time increases? Or is it something else? Am I crazy? Haha
Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm 23 days sober and I have felt the same way throughout this. I think the times we our not feeling so great, is the addiction in our minds trying to remind us that we should be drinking by now. That's the tough part about quitting the addiction doesn't want us to quit we just gotta battle through the tough times. Because like you I love the good feeling im having without it. Feeling so much better not being hungover an depressed. Good luck to you
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It does get better as time increases. I would have to say the first 6 months for sure were really all over the map. Even after a year in, I still have times when I kind of space out or just feel weird now and then. Having said all that it's still 1000X better than when I was drinking, without question.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Impulsivity is one of the signs of ADHD. It might not be that (in your case), but I've been reading about it lately, so it's on my mind. Maybe do a little reading on it, see if you find anything useful for yourself.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nonsensical, I believe I absolutely have symptoms of adult ADHD. I fit the described characteristics to a T. Inability to focus, inattentiveness, lack of memory, lack of being able to make a decision and sitcking with it. Most of the ADHD symptoms I've been suffering from seem to be directly related to alcohol, though. Many of these things seem to have gotten better, even in the short time I have been sober. I'm not sure if I legitimately have ADHD (I think everyone has it to a degree, but mine seemed to be extremely bad), or if it was alcohol causing the symptoms to be overly bad.