Notices

Slipping

Old 02-11-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slipping

For me, trying to get sober has been like trying to climb up an icy hill. One miss step and I will slide all the way down to the bottom. Once I'm down, I'm not sure how long it will take to get the motivation or determination to give it another go. I may get back up right away, or just hang out at the bottom for the next few months or even years. My last go around, I didn't try again for 6 years. I have this mindset where I must continue climbing no matter what, so I reach the top quicker. But I'm learning that may not be the best approach. Because storms will come and its best to wait it out before continuing the climb, or risk slipping.

The last 2 weeks were stormy weather for me. I felt depressed and contemplated giving up on the climb. After all, it would be easier to go to the lodge and get a beer. But I've come too far to give up now. I rode out the storm instead. I didn't make any progress (or did I), but now I feel refreshed and ready to move forward.

For anyone who does slip, please don't hang out in the lodge for too long. I know its warm and there's beer, but its so much nicer outside...

-----

Sober since 9/8/13
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post, and one I can relate to. I figure as long as you're not in the lodge at all, that in itself is a small victory. In my mind, I have made a decision that I will never be able to drink alcohol like a normal person, and that my life will only be tolerable if I do not drink. This is one thing that I know for certain. So using this mindset, if I were to fail (which I don't plan on doing), then I have no choice but to get up and start climbing up the mountain again. There can be no lodge for me! I won't survive it, I'm sure.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Wonderful post xxxx
Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me when I give it to God it's not as slippery. It's when I try to control everything that I find myself feeling like I'm working so dang hard to stay sober. Just my experience.
(((hugs)))
Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Brilliant analogy
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is a great post. I think you're right, best not to just forge ahead blindly, but to re-asess at each point along the way.