Notices

I got the kick I really needed!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

I got the kick I really needed!

I have struggled for quite some time now. Sober a while then drinking a while and sober and while and then drinking a while. So on and so forth.
Well long story somewhat short... 6 years ago I had Type 2 Diabetes... lost over 100 pounds and the D went away. Since that time (and due to the drinking) I gained back about 50 pounds. I've been wanting to lose it but drinking and weight loss control don't work for me. I always get carb cravings when I drink. So this little nagging voice in my head was telling me that hey you've been eating poorly for a long time and drinking and what is your blood sugar like? I haven't been to the doctor and I haven't had a glucose meter or any of that stuff for years. Well you know where this story is going. I got myself a meter and tested and my BS was 268 last week Tuesday! I nearly croaked! I re-tested a couple of times and ran the control because OMG I couldn't have BS that high!!!!! Well, no fooling, it was like someone hit me over the head with a baseball bat. The leftovers of 2 bottles of scotch went in the dumpster and I immediately started on a food program that I know will help bring the numbers down. I'm giving myself a limited period of time to get my BS down where it should be and if I can't do it alone I will go back to a doc and get the pills but with the goal of losing the extra weight and going off the pills when a doctor tells me it's okay to do so.

So it's pretty amazing. I haven't had even the tiniest craving in 7 days. I just want to be healthy and booze and diabetes are not the best idea. But I'm not going to be silly... I know how those cravings can sneak up on me so I'll stick with this group and my online and face to face meetings.

Thanks for listening!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there Sorry to hear about the sugar levels rocketing. Well done for dealing with things so quickly
Old 02-11-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow thats high - I'm glad you noted it SoulKat.
Have you seen a Dr at all?

Congrats on your week too
D
Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with seeing a doctor for help. Weight loss, and a good diet might get your sugar back to normal levels.