Notices

Throwing up bile.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I had this too - lots of dry heaves and then you are almost wishing for something to come out. And then you'd get the bile and you'd just know that this shouldn't be happening. Your body doesn't like what you've done to it and it's letting you know. After a really heavy night, the morning coffee wouldn't stay in the stomach long either. I really don't want to go through that again.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Reminds me of this great passage from the Big Book:

"Our behavior is as absurd and incomprehensible with respect to the first drink as that of an individual with a passion, say, for jay-walking. He gets a thrill out of skipping in front of fast-moving vehicles. He enjoys himself for a few years in spite of friendly warnings. Up to this point you would label him as a foolish chap having queer ideas of fun. Luck then deserts him and he is slightly injured several times in succession. You would expect him, if he were normal, to cut it out. Presently he is hit again and this time has a fractured skull. Within a week after leaving the hospital a fast-moving trolley car breaks his arm. He tells you he has decided to stop jay-walking for good, but in a few weeks he breaks both legs.

"On through the years this conduct continues, accompanied by his continual promises to be careful or to keep off the streets altogether. Finally, he can no longer work, his wife gets a divorce and he is held up to ridicule. He tries every known means to get the jay-walking idea out of his head. He shuts himself up in an asylum, hoping to mend his ways. But the day he comes out he races in front of a fire engine, which breaks his back. Such a man would be crazy, wouldn’t he?

"You may think our illustration is too ridiculous. But is it?…"
That is brilliant - a perfect analogy.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sydney1988 View Post
I find it so odd that I'm taking comfort in a strangers words. But I am. I want to stop, but it's so delicious.....
Not just strangers but fellow alkies. There is great power in our words that we share to each other. That is how we can recover from this awful affliction.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Throwing up bile isn't fun and it only got worst for me. At the end of my drinking, only 20 some days ago, my throat was raw and sore. :-(
Old 02-11-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yep that sounds familiar

Trust me when I say that in a scarily short time it will stop being fun. Listen to your body and try not to pick up that first drink Sydney x
Old 02-11-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

So I've woken up (literally, not figuratively) and that feeling's back. I know it's going to happen. I just want it over and done with. Luckily I have a repair man coming to fix something in a couple of hours so I know I won't have a drink until after they're gone. Or is that lucky? Hmm.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can make a different choice today Sydney.

Instead of going out to get more booze you could sit here and read and post,. or make that Drs appointment, go to an AA meeting.

Not drinking today won't be fun - you will probably get upset, infuriated and wildly emotional - but not drinking today is possible.

If you feel it's not safe for you to go cold turkey - and I'm in two minds myself reading your posts - then you NEED to see a Dr - today....no ifs ands or buts

D
Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I made the appointment, can't get in until tomorrow. I still don't know what I'm going to say to them.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

If in doubt...write it out, Sydney

D
Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hop along to your nearest medical centre if you don't have a regular doc. Think about entering a detox. That way you'll be safe and have experienced people around you if anything is untoward.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

just tell the doctor the truth. The only shame would be lying. I mean whats the point of going to the doctor if we are just going to lie? You don't get the help you need that way. And what you are going through doesn't sound like the "fun" you call it....not at all. That throwing up bile....that's your body trying to get rid of the poison you are putting into it. That doesn't sound like much "fun" either. You might want to consider NOT waiting for the appt. tomorrow and just go to the hospital tonight.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

And if you're throwing up bile....wine is the worst thing you can drink. Its FULL of acid...
Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sydney I'm really glad you made that appointment with the doctor. As for what to say ... how about the truth? Doctors being doctors they are trained to recognise symptoms for what they are, even though we drinkers often kid ourselves that if we don't tell them how much we drink they'll never guess. I know because I was like that until last year.

My mornings always started with me coughing, partly from the booze also from tobacco. Depending on how hard I'd been going the night before the cough might just be a dry cough which hurt my ribs and made me feel sick, it might have been retching dry heaves, the worst was the razing cough that brought up bile. Then, with luck, I'd go and have a tiny bit of water and a shower or I'd stagger back to bed.

I hadn't begun drinking in the morning so it didn't occur to me to have an alcoholic drink.

By late morning I'd be ready to stomach food, usually something fatty and sugary. After lunch the reflux would start, then the afternoon sleepiness would kick in.

That was eleven months ago, last February I went to the doctor in desperation, SR followed, I've been sober and nicotine-free since. My life has no parallel with those awful days when I felt so bad every morning and most of the afternoon.

If you are honest with the doctor tomorrow, if you stay close reading and posting at SR this can be your story too. I really want that for you Sydney.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

If you are honest with the doctor tomorrow, if you stay close reading and posting at SR this can be your story too. I really want that for you Sydney.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I want that too. It's just a bit scary.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
When I was at my most physically addicted, I got the dry heaves and/or would throw up bile when I was withdrawing in the morning. The only thing that would stop it was a morning drink....which was an awful way to start the day...and got me even more physically addicted.
Yes, this was exactly what my morning routine was for the last year I drank. The morning mouthful of 100 proof was my medicine and it nearly killed me.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Sydney, I'm terrible when I go the docs, I have been known, if I do not know him or my trust isn't fully secure, I've not told them the truth why I am there.

So, if I have any qualms about what I'm going to say I write it down then if I cannot tell them I give them my note. Strange, I know, but it works for me. Take care x
Old 02-11-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I really want to talk to a dr about it tomorrow. But I'm so afraid that I'll freeze. I've already written it down. I just don't know how I'm going to handle it tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Just breathe. THe dr will have heard something like your story a hundred times. You won't be the first or the last. It's worse in your head than it will be in reality, I promise. I have a friend in the program who is also a doctor and we talked about this once. She said it's a common issue for people to bring up.

Keep in mind that there is a part of you that wants you to keep drinking and will try to convince you NOT to get well and seek help.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sydney1988 View Post
I really want to talk to a dr about it tomorrow. But I'm so afraid that I'll freeze. I've already written it down. I just don't know how I'm going to handle it tomorrow.
Sydney you don't have to say the whole lot in one go, the doctor will guide the conversation. Why not simply say: I know I drink too much, it's affecting my life badly, I need your advice.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
My wagon's in the mud.

Really good to have a chat with a Doctor, but I always retched in the morning. I could never brush my teeth first thing as it would 'cause the heaves.

Been sober 41 days, no more retching.