Notices

New..

Old 02-10-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New..

I'm beginning a new part of my life, a new chapter and a new journey. Today is the 8th day that I have been sober and I have been able to focus on myself an getting healthy. I am a relatively successful naval officer. I graduated from the Naval Academy and began my career immediately after that. I've always been a very goal oriented person and will work very hard I achieve my goals. I started drinking in high school with my friends and have slowly been losing control of my life. I started to drink just to be the guy with the story and to always be the social person. I was always up to have a good time even if that meant drinking an exorbitant amount of alcohol. I'm currently on a deployment and have been struggling with alcohol.. Again. Last year on my deployment I had some drinking problems that got the attention of my command and led to a slap on the wrist. This deployment I was determined to have a better deployment. Things started off well but then I felt myself losing control.. 4 beers tonight.. A bottle of wine tonight.. A little whiskey.. A bottle of wine and some whiskey.. Beer. wine. whiskey. Blackout. Over and over again. My command again expressed concern for my safety and referred me to the navy drug and alcohol abuse program and now I have decided to be sober. For me. For my family. For my career.

I'm looking forward to meeting new people and staying sober. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Jake
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jake. I think you'll find a lot of support on these forums. It's great that you have decided to take the necessary steps in becoming sober.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Congrats on 8 days and welcome Jake! Do you have a plan for recovery? Keep coming back here, this place is very supportive.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Jake,congrats on 8 days.
And thanks for serving!

Hang out with us here on SR when you can.
We all know how alcohol progresses if not nipped in the butt before it get really bad.
Some of us,it took many years to say enough.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support. I have an appointment to get evaluated and then get a treatment plan from the navy doctors and support staff. I feel like this is a pretty big step for me because I always knew my drinking wasn't good but I never viewed it as bad until I zoomed out and put all the data points together. I was never the kind of person who would drink first thing in the morning or when I wasn't allowed to (aviation laws) but when I was able to drink I would always drink until I lost control and would blackout. I always thought I could blame it on a military culture thing.. But I have finally gotten to the point that I know that I need to stop drinking and I know I need help to stop. I am not a responsible user of alcohol and tried to pretend for so long that I was that guy that could moderate my drinking when I knew that I couldn't. I feel healthy and excited to get sober. I have been running and working out a lot to keep my mind focused..
Old 02-10-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My command again expressed concern for my safety and referred me to the navy drug and alcohol abuse program and now I have decided to be sober. For me. For my family. For my career.

I love everything about this phrase. Not the typical judgmental refrain, "you are a drunk", but "concern for your safety". How gracious. As well your response & for taking it to heart.

Congrats!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Jake xxx
Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 8 Jake. That's fantastic!!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Jake!

We do understand how hard this is.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 02-10-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jake - good to have you here

D
Old 02-10-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So good to meet you Jake. Thank you for serving.

I'm so glad you're taking action. You see the danger signs and what alcohol is doing to your life. I did too - but never had the courage to change. I kept insisting I could use willpower to control myself, but it never worked once.

I think it'll really help you to be here - as well as the other action you're taking. We all understand how you feel and we're rooting for you.