Notices

Anyone go on so little sleep

Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone go on so little sleep

I'm on Day 28 and so very happy and grateful for that.

I'm still sleeping little. I get 1-2 hours of sleep a night. I am pretty well exhausted. I'm trying to eat well and exercise a little but am so tired. lol.

I wouldn't change it for the days of old though. I just don't want to get complacent and or just way too exhausted to keep this momentum going.

I know I'm doing way better just wished I felt so.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's not very much sleep pal! You can't sustain yourself on that amount of sleep for very long. It's dangerous to your mental and physical health. Truly! Not meant to be a lecture at all!! I understand sleep deprivation all too well. Have you considered seeing a doctor about this? I hope you will consider it. That's just not enough sleep. :-(
Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is far too little sleep, which can be bad for your health.

Do go see a doctor about this. Insomnia is a very common problem and I'm sure there are good ways to treat it.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first month of sobriety was a challenge as far as sleep goes. The second month was much better.

I would contact my Doctor if you're only getting 1 to 2 hrs a night! I wouldn't be able to function ...poor thing you must be exhausted.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thank you all.

The problem is, even when I was drinking I went on 3-4 hours of sleep a night. This has been going on for over 4 years. Before that, I was given ambien which worked but then it came down to only working for a few hours so I just quit taking it. I've tried melatonin, benadryl, sleepytime teas, watch my caffiene intake, follow good bedtime routines and try sleep restriction. I'd say that's where I'm at now. Nothing helps but now I am just feeling pretty wonked out.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh Kris! Insomnia is BRUTAL!! Have you tried a sleep clinic?

I hope you find something; you must be so tired you want to cry.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

L-Theanine works so well... I am a career insomniac and it helps me sleep like a baby

also try a hot bath before bed and some hot milk
Old 02-10-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bumble View Post

Pretty much and I do.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Kris - I'd definitely see your Dr - they can help...you can ask them about any supplements you may read about here - whats worked for others may not work or be suitable for you.

D
Old 02-10-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had them for years, might be able to offer some advice. Melatonin will make you feel tired and it resets your circadian rhythm. Benadryl is a well-known remedy and it definitely works. Also reading is a fantastic one. Take a book and read and read and read until you start to feel groggy. I don't know why this works but it puts your brain into sleep mode and has always worked for me. I'm totally serious, if you read for about an hour, your eyes start to droop and you start to drift off. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

DA, with all due respect, Benadryls not actually a sleep aid.

I know it's widely used that way but I've seen several people addicted to it in threads here, so I think it's best used with caution.

Speak to your Dr about it Kris.

Melatonin has its dangers too, especially for alcoholics:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3021612

I understand that all who share here are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

Please remember our medical advice rule:

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.

D
Old 02-10-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dear Friends and Dee,

I wasn't asking for any help just wondering if anyone else is having a problem like me.

I understand that this isn't a medical forum.

I have tried everything and do know what is available. I will see my doctor and see what he can do to help me this time around.

DA, I'll try reading the night away. TY!

Kris

It's just that the up of being sober is a down from no sleep.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

I also suffer from insomnia, Kris, so I can relate. At the end of January I had a sleep study. Unfortunately, the study was inconclusive because I didn't sleep long enough.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Kris, I understand the first impulse is to reach for the medicine cabinet, but it might be best to let nature take its course.

I know you're not asking for advice, but one thing that helped me was listening to audiobooks or podcasts at night, on very low volume, to put me to sleep. I downloaded Heart of Darkness and Treasure Island and listened to the stories and zonked out. Another good podcast is Dan Carlin's history podcast...if you're going to be tossing and turning, might as well learn something while you're at it, eh? Dan Carlin

All the best.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The first several months of sobriety I only slept 1 to 2 hours of sleep. I finally gave in and just accepted it and although I was very tired, I just did what I had to do. It's finally getting better, but I still have insomnia sometimes. I know how frustrating that is. I hope it resolves. I'm finding more and more that sometimes in sobriety that we just need time, sometimes a lot of time, for our system to straighten out. At least for me. Every phase of sobriety seems to bring a different set of issues, all opportunities for growth, but sometimes difficult.

That's why SR is so great for me. I can come on line in the middle of the night if I need to.

Good luck and try not to worry too much.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I totally relate to the sleep issues. I'm somewhere around 2.5 months and I ran on very little sleep early on. Actually, I kinda feel like I missed the holidays I was so deprived. These days, I'm sleeping okay. Good nights/bad nights, but like you say, better than the old days. For me, I love a few cups of super hot tea.
I hope you get some rest soon!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've gotten lousy, fitful, unrestful, non-REM sleep for years now. Sobriety seems to make it worse.... I am currently off of caffeine entirely in an effort to let me body reset it's levels of stress hormones and hopefully return to a more normal balance as part of my efforts to get better sleep.

My fitness and energy and life are sufffering and I'm nowhere near as little sleep as you. I'm managing maybe 7 hours but those hours are replete with tossing, turning, wierd dreams, waking up a lot..... so I feel exhausted regardless.

My sponsor told me that he was unable to sleep for a few years after getting sober and finally found relief in a non-addictive anti-depressant. I forget the name but if you're interested, message me and I will inquire again.

I'd say a chat with your doctor about non-addictive sleep aid alternatives would be a good idea. 1-2 hours is definintely not sufficient for your physical or mental health and seems like it would constitute a threat to your sobriety.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
Dear Friends and Dee,

I wasn't asking for any help just wondering if anyone else is having a problem like me.

I understand that this isn't a medical forum.

I have tried everything and do know what is available. I will see my doctor and see what he can do to help me this time around.

DA, I'll try reading the night away. TY!

Kris

It's just that the up of being sober is a down from no sleep.
Hi Kris Have you tried looking for some hypnotherapy, relaxation tapes online? I can highly recommend hypnotherapy Xx

PS I hope that's not classed as med advice? Apologies if it is.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Kris I had exactly the same problem the first month. It did get better at about 4 weeks - slowly. Alysheba is right I think.
I quit caffeine totally. Sometimes I have a really bad night still but I get 6-7 and a half most nights. It is horrible, but try to tell yourself it will get better, and try not to drive if you can.
I have tried a herbal supplement with lactium in it, that seemed to help a bit
Old 02-11-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Survivor

Do some cardio get yourself nice and exhausted everytime u try and nap. Do this several times a day