Notices

Why cant i stay sober

Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hope for change

Why cant i stay sober

No matter how much time of sobriety I get under my belt I always always ruin it, I ruin everything, relationships, material things, friendships. I just hate everything that I am right now, I feel like I'm destined to be a loser
Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My addiction used to tell me the same thing. It was a huge relief to stop listening to its lies.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

keep trying you will get it.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I feel the same way. =(
Old 02-10-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hope for change

But they aren't lies, they are true, I go back on my word constantly, I'm not an honest person not even to myself, I tell myself I'm fine all the time. I make fun of ppl I know that have drinking problems and call them losers and drunks but I'm the loser! I'm the drunk! And I'm such an attention ***** when I'm drinking it's pathetic
Old 02-10-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Still...keep trying. I'm on day 2 for the hundredth time!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hope for change

I can't make it to the 100th time I can't keep doing this and I can't seem to get a grip so I don't have any more optiins
Old 02-10-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

nobody is destined to be a loser....

but if we tell ourselves such things, we can indeed redirect ourselves to that 'destiny'.

I don't know what underpins your struggle thus far but I do know that in my own experience the reasons that I 'couldn't stay sober' had to do with my not fully committing to sobriety and ensuring that I was doing the work, had the support, was ACTIVELY working on myself.

Just "not drinking" is only the beginning of sobriety....

What have you been doing to support your sobriety? What have you tried? What have you NOT tried? What have you been resisting?

You are not destined to be a loser... you are an expression of Spirit and you are here for Love and Joy, Growth and Wonder, Exploration and Learning....

Old 02-10-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

I have no magical words for you 1234 other than, you can make it to your 100th time, 200th if need be......I know, I was there, but there will be no more 100th time for me again, just one day at a time! Life is too precious to waste it in the bottom of a bottle...
Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Emr

Originally Posted by Itsmytime1234 View Post
No matter how much time of sobriety I get under my belt I always always ruin it, I ruin everything, relationships, material things, friendships. I just hate everything that I am right now, I feel like I'm destined to be a loser
I have self destruction tendency's myself. I'm only on day 3. It's more than just drinking, I need to work on myself also. I don't want to overload by fixing everything at once so I'm working on one thing at a time right now.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emr View Post
I have self destruction tendency's myself. I'm only on day 3. It's more than just drinking, I need to work on myself also. I don't want to overload by fixing everything at once so I'm working on one thing at a time right now.
May I ask what specifically you're doing when you're working on those things?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with Freeowl.I only got sober when I was fully committed to staying sober,wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink and knew that drinking really no
longer was an option.

Just trying to stop isn't enough. Don't try, do. Do whatever it takes, get whatever suppport you need,do something you 've not done before. firstly,move all alcohol out of your house,avoid drinking friends and places, have a plan
Old 02-10-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Itsmytime1234 View Post
I just hate everything that I am right now, I feel like I'm destined to be a loser
As long as we keep letting our AV tell us this, then this is what we will be. You have options and deep down you know that it doesn't have to be this way. Don't let your AV be responsible for your destiny. You have it within you to change it or else you wouldn't be reaching out and posting here.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Itsmytime1234, you can do it, rootin for ya.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What are you doing to stay sober? What method of recovery?

And what haven't you done?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Emr

Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
May I ask what specifically you're doing when you're working on those things?
Really just researching on the internet. I have some codependency issues. Plus when I get angry I speak out without calming down and thinking first.

So the issues I know I have I google and try to get to the bottom of why I do what I do and understand them a little. When somebody says something that makes me mad I try not responding until I've calmed down and can give a clear thought out response. Obviously drinking kind of blocks my ability to give clear thought out responses. LOL!

I'm not trying to change who I am. Just trying to change some of the things so I'm not being self destructive.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

heres a reply that was posted in another thread:

If I don't have a positive attitude I can't do anything. If I have a positive attitude, there's little I can't accomplish.

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church....a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes
Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emr View Post
Really just researching on the internet. I have some codependency issues. Plus when I get angry I speak out without calming down and thinking first.

So the issues I know I have I google and try to get to the bottom of why I do what I do and understand them a little. When somebody says something that makes me mad I try not responding until I've calmed down and can give a clear thought out response. Obviously drinking kind of blocks my ability to give clear thought out responses. LOL!

I'm not trying to change who I am. Just trying to change some of the things so I'm not being self destructive.
Sounds good. As long as what you're doing is working, go with it! Otherwise you can always see a professional. I doubt there's any issue in human beings that doesn't have some type of help for it.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stop believing that you're a loser. That's a self fulfilling prophesy. Tell yourself that you have hope, that there's a good chance you can change your way of life. I used to think I was destined to die a hopeless drunk but I changed that. You can too!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

We have all felt like this at some point. You can turn it around xxxxx