Notices

HI, new here and would really like some support

Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HI, new here and would really like some support

Hi, I'm Cassabell, and I got Hospitalized last Saturday night. I collapsed in front of some cops and they called an ambulance and i woke in the Hospital. This happened one before. I've finally admitted I'm a binge drinker. Once i start I cant stop. I feel depressed and disgusting, like some loser idiot waking up in Hospital. I a self destructive. The weird thing is that everything else in life is going well, so I dont know why I do this. I'm sick of telling myself I wont drink anymore and doing it anyway. I have blackouts. I act weird, like im on drugs when I drink red wine. i dont want to drink anymore, I want to STOP! Please help
Old 02-09-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Cassabell!

A lot of us on this forum have learned to stay sober. I attend a couple AA meetings a week, and spend a lot of time here at SoberRecovery.

Read around and post often!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Welcome aboard!
Sounds to me: sick & tired of being sick & tired. This is the place to be. The support is great. Bk an appt w/ doc so can wean off safely & detox. Then join aa coz this disease cannot be defeated alone. Get a sponsor, do whats suggested & begin living the life you were created to live. Btw, there's nthg to be ashamed about being in aa. Your anonymity is protected
Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Cassabell, welcome to SR, you've come to the right place. Have a look around the threads and 'stickies' (which are useful threads which have been saved) and you'll see there are lots of ex-binge drinkers who finally said enough. I wasn't a binge drinker, but I did get through a bottle of wine every night and like you I felt horrible and hated my behaviour. I also kept telling myself I would stop and drinking anyway.
I think the best thing i did was talk to my doctor and tell him the truth about how much I drank (this was hard), after that I spent a while looking up alcohol and alcoholism on the internet. After about a month it all just clicked and I made myself a promise not to drink for a year. When the year was up I was so used to feeling happy with myself and guilt free I just kept going.
Throughout this time I've found SR to be a huge support, and I'm sure it has helped me stay sober all this time.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Feeling Great :-) Im feeling inspired already! I am glad I came here. How wonderful that you were strong and kept away from it! I told the Doctors at the Hospital, as I had a self realization waking up in there with a fluid drip in my arm, that I am alcoholic. Today is my my first step
Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cassabell - welcome

you'll find a lot of support here and a lot of encouragement. None of us are losers, or weak, or morally deficient - we're just addicted to alcohol or drugs.

There really is life after drinking and a lot of hope too - look around - read and post as much as you like

D
Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Cassabell, welcome to SR, you've taken the first steps, jump aboard xx
Old 02-10-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Cassabel xxx
Old 02-10-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support you find here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR! You found a great place to get support and information.

Originally Posted by Cassabell View Post
I feel depressed and disgusting, like some loser idiot waking up in Hospital. I am self destructive. The weird thing is that everything else in life is going well, so I dont know why I do this. I'm sick of telling myself I wont drink anymore and doing it anyway.
I spent a lot of time believing that about myself - that I was self-destructive. My life was going great - but I kept getting blackout drunk most nights. The only answer that made any sense to me at that time was that I was somehow subconsciously self-destructive.

It turns out it wasn't true. I just fundamentally did not understand what alcohol addiction was or how it impacts the brain. Once I learned more about those things I realized I am not self-destructive, I am addicted - and that has been key in helping me stay sober.

So simple in hindsight, but it took me a looooooong time to figure it out.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting Casabell and welcome!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good Luck. I related to so much of what you said. I was blackout drunk this past Friday after going through several bottles of red wine at a dinner party, followed by an after party. The way that I reportedly acted (in my blackout) is akin to a person who is on drugs. It is embarrassing to say the least and I feel terrible about myself. I hope to see you on the boards here.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Compass1 thankyou, its such a weird feeling and that awful feeling the next day.! It feels nice that someone can relate. :-) i know it can be one step at a time but i really want to vow to never act like that again! We can do this!!