Notices

here i go again...

Old 02-09-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

here i go again...

Sober tonight. First night for a while. Drink makes me feel like sh!t, feel guilty and sick. My body is saying no to drink. My head is listening but where does this little voice come from that's telling me that just acouple of drinks tonight will be fine.!!!! I feel possitive for 5 minutes then desperate for a drink the next 5. Please tell me this feeling goes away..... Soon!!!;
Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It will. Ignore the voice, fight it and it will eventually shut up xxxx
Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

With more sober time that voice will grow fainter until you can't hear it at all. Stay true to your sobriety and be good to yourself. It will get better.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

And when that voice finally shuts up, Hooks, you will experience peace like you've never known before

Hope you're well away from the Thames and keeping dry? We're just about holding on in Dorset!
Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Treat that voice as the enemy!! You vs. it! Yell back at it! Tell it you are NOT going to drink today!! You may have days when it is more active than others. The voice is persistent, patient and opportunistic. But you are strong and it is weak! Each time it shows up, treat it as an annoying little fly and slap it away. As Least said, over time, it will eventually fade out and die. None of the great things in life are easy, but they are always worth it in the end. We can do this!!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

I had intense, daily cravings for several months following my three-year relapse after not picking up a drink for twenty five years. The cravings did not simply go away for me, nor could I think them away or will them away. Fighting the obsession was not a battle I could win, nor is it one I should have entered into. I was mostly miserable for about my first six months of sobriety, until I got serious about changing my life.

It was only by working a program of recovery, building support and changing my life in some very important ways that I was able to overcome the obsession to drink.

In the two-and-a-half years that I've been sober again, I've repaired relationships with my family, been restored to good health, started working again in my field despite burning and then burying several bridges, and have been making an ongoing, living amends with my ex, including having virtually no contact with her. During my relapse and early sobriety, I never imagined that life could be so good again.

You're welcome to do the same.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hooks - yes, things get better - not many of us could handle a night one over and over again...

stick with it - and stick by us. Read around and post as much as you like

D