Notices

Feeling a bit lost

Old 02-08-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit lost

Hi, I'm 41 and drink far too much than is good for me. I don't drink every day, but after a couple of alcohol free days I crave a beer. When I do drink, it's rarely less than 3 cans of Stella, can be up to about 8 cans + a glass or two of wine. I want to cut down or, even better, stop drinking completely. I want to lose weight, get fit and live to an active ripe old age, but I know that if I don't change my ways, that ain't gonna happen.

The problem is that I *enjoy* drinking, the sensation of being drunk .. I always have. However, I now feel as if I'm losing control, the habits of weekend drinking are getting virtually impossible to stop. I'm writing this having drunk 2 cans of strong lager and a bottle or red wine. The plan I had for tomorrow is already shot ... I'd planned to go swimming, but I've already drunk too much to drive at 9am tomorrow. I've read elsewhere that drinking can be hereditary - frankly, I think that's a bit of a cop out, although there is a history of drinking in my maternal side of the family. I can rattle off a whole string of excuses, including my partner's fondness for drinking, but ultimately the problem is my own. I need help to get out of this rut, which is what I hope this forum will give me.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a good place for support in sobriety. We're here any time of day or night. You can come here and post instead of drinking. We are here to support you on your sober journey.

I'm glad you joined the family.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Cochen welcome to SR, lots of support and information here for you.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Cochen

You'll find a lot of support here.
Have you thought about changing your weekend routine for a week to keep away form alcohol?

D
Old 02-08-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Cochen.

It took me a long time to admit that when I drank I could never be sure of the outcome. It was beginning to run my life & I was tired of trying to control it. I had to stop all together. I hope you'll find it helpful to be here with us.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Cochen xxx
Old 02-08-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. One of the things you said hit home with me. You said "The plan I had for tomorrow is already shot ... I'd planned to go swimming, but I've already drunk too much to drive at 9am tomorrow". I used to love to get up early to go for a walk. For the longest time I couldn't do that because I was too sick in the morning to get out of bed. I missed a lot in my life sleeping off my hangovers.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Cochen,

This is a great place to help break the crappy habit your in. It sounds like you have finally realized your sick of it and want a change. That's half the battle. The rest will be in your journey to learn how to live sober. It's full of highs and lows but success is possible if you choose to suceed. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your messages guys, I'm amazed at the response given the short time it's been since my first post. I'm definitely taking least's advice and coming here instead of reaching for a drink. I'm not saying I'll succeed every time, but it will be a start!! x